UP loco fire in Bryan TX 3/23

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

UP loco fire in Bryan TX 3/23

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Few days ago, this UP train had 4 units on the headend, 2nd loco back had quite the fire going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvSDip-_Es
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: UP loco fire in Bryan TX 3/23

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Looks like just a normal day for a UP unit based on all of the scorched Armour Yellow engines you regularly see out there. Lol

Side question for headend crews: what’s the SOP if you determine one of your locomotives is on fire?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:05 pm
Looks like just a normal day for a UP unit based on all of the scorched Armour Yellow engines you regularly see out there. Lol

Side question for headend crews: what’s the SOP if you determine one of your locomotives is on fire?
Call the road foreman so they can tell you that your train handling must’ve caused it and to go back and isolate the affected unit(s).
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Unread post by amessmann »

I had come across this video and by the looks if it, the locomotive had a major failure, not the "fuel built up in the exhaust and caught a light" incident typical of GEs. It looks to me as if the engine blew a piston or something. I had tried referencing the road number with other GE locomotives that have failed that way but my results were inconclusive. UP 5626 was built in Q3 2004.

Here is an older clip (from 2011!) of another Union Pacific engine throwing a piston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHo-rdcu4ek
The engine in that video was UP 6741 built in Q2 1996. Note where he is standing when 6741 passes.

BNSF 659 blew a piston during the summer of 2022, this information from Brandon Loy if you know the name. Supposedly oil was streamed all along the unit.
A fakebonnet, BNSF 659 was built in Q3 1994.

Without data relating the actual prime mover to the locomotives, it would be tricky to find a correlation between failing engines and their build dates.
I would love to know the serial numbers of the prime movers in the respective locomotives but I don't think I will be able to find that information.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:58 am
GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:05 pm

Call the road foreman so they can tell you that your train handling must’ve caused it and to go back and isolate the affected unit(s).
Makes sense. Everything's cool once a finger has been pointed!