California Unit Train DPU's

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
brendanmc
Railroadfan...fan

California Unit Train DPU's

Unread post by brendanmc »

Hey all,

I've seen BNSF unit grain trains typically with a 3x2x1 setup head north to Bakersfield through Tehachapi and emptys headed East with a simple 3 unit lead. Anyone know when and where that other power gets cut and ends up?

I would've thought that these unit trains are kept together and bounced between terminals in the same configuration to save man hours switching and cutting them out.

Thanks.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: California Unit Train DPU's

Unread post by David Collins »

brendanmc wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:58 pm
Hey all,

I've seen BNSF unit grain trains typically with a 3x2x1 setup head north to Bakersfield through Tehachapi and emptys headed East with a simple 3 unit lead. Anyone know when and where that other power gets cut and ends up?

I would've thought that these unit trains are kept together and bounced between terminals in the same configuration to save man hours switching and cutting them out.

Thanks.
First off, welcome to the forum!

3x2x1, that's interesting, I normally see them running 3x3x2 out on the transcon in Iowa. BNSF (from what I understand) takes two trains and makes them into one. The awnser about where power the 2x1 power ends up is an awnser I don't have. From an educated guess though, they may get cut at Barstow, they may just do 3 units going east since they aren't pulling as much, as the 1 unit on the tail is there for an extra push. That's just my guess though.