N&W 475 vs Excavator at Strasburg

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

N&W 475 vs Excavator at Strasburg

Unread post by David Collins »

All I gotta say is that someone is going to find themselves unemployed today, clearly, the switch was lined straight for the MOW track where the excavator was parked. I also didn't know that the steel on the front of the smokeboxes was actually that thin! I was expecting a gaping hole in the door, not the area surrounding it. Screenshot taken from the VRF cam at Paradise, PA and a photo taken on the ground by a railfan.
Attachments
IMG_9771.jpg
IMG_9303.jpg

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Re: N&W 475 vs Excavator at Strasburg

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:57 pm
All I gotta say is that someone is going to find themselves unemployed today, clearly, the switch was lined straight for the MOW track where the excavator was parked. I also didn't know that the steel on the front of the smokeboxes was actually that thin! I was expecting a gaping hole in the door, not the area surrounding it. Screenshot taken from the VRF cam at Paradise, PA and a photo taken on the ground by a railfan.
I agree, I wasn't expecting such a big hole in the smoke box
Resident GE foamer :lol:
19 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.
https://youtube.com/@ACCWMetal?si=KhXh5f-cdvICYx--

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:57 pm
I also didn't know that the steel on the front of the smokeboxes was actually that thin! I was expecting a gaping hole in the door, not the area surrounding it.
Per Kelly Anderson (former SRR Chief Mechanical Officer) on RYPN, "[475's] smokebox front was cast iron (as were her internal steam pipes), not steel, hence brittle."
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47001

Both the train crew and MOW crew are at fault for this one.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Someone gets to answer why they left the switch lined for the siding.
Someone gets to answer why they didn't notice the switch was lined for the siding.
The smokebox front and door may be made of cast iron, which could break like that seen in the images.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Man that excavator punched thru like it was 475s first time

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

475 was towed back to the shops this evening with a blue tarp covering its smoke box by Strasburg's SW8. Rumors are going around that there is more extensive damage to the smokebox than first thought.
Last edited by David Collins on Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:40 pm
475 was towed back to the shops this evening with a blue tarp covering its smoke box by Strasburg's SW8. Rumors are going around that there is more extensive damage to the smokebox than first thought.
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/816285/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/816286/

Per Trains Magazine News Wire, "According to sources, the damage on No. 475 looks worse than it actually is, and the shop crew believes that the engine can be repaired and back in service next week."

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

A Strasburg spokesperson said in the local news that engine 475 only suffered "minor damage" to the smoke box door and headlights. Engine 475 is expected to be back up and running for Strasburg Rail Road’s Christmas Trains which will run Nov. 19 - Dec. 22.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Strasburg reports the 475 is back in service with details from Brendon Ziegler on the repairs.

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &start=135

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

What about the excavator? Hopefully it is still in service as well. Sad to lose one of those. Was it on hi rail gear?
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline