Amtrak long distance trains, what should I expect?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Amtrak long distance trains, what should I expect?

Unread post by David Collins »

For spring break, I'm intending to take Amtrak's California Zephyr, from Chicago-Emeryville.

This trip would be just for fun, I'm not taking it to be somewhere at a specific time, which is the opposite of what I was doing this summer with the wolverine from Troy-Chicago and back. I have never ridden a long-distance Amtrak train and judging by the videos I've watched, it's quite the experience from a passenger perspective.

My question is if anyone on this site has ridden the CZ (or the SWC, they're somewhat comparable), and if so, is it worth it? I'm also quite torn as to if I should take a roomette or a full bedroom. Give me your thoughts!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Amtrak long distance trains, what should I expect?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I've ridden the California Zephyr twice, from Sacramento eastbound to Chicago, in 2018 and 2019. Rode on my own in a roomette the first trip, then the 2nd had my son with me in one with wifey and daughter in the roomette across the hall. You'll be plenty fine with a roomette if you have two normal sized people riding along. Have ridden the southwest chief and empire builder as well recently to/from chicago to the west coast. Zephyr was the best.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Just plan to run late. Don’t plan any connection off the train within 6 hours or you’ll probably regret it!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I’ve ridden the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles and from Flagstaff to Chicago. Both times with my wife in a bedroom. For traveling with the spouse that was the way to go.

I’ve ridden the Texas Eagle from Dallas to Chicago alone in a roomette. That was fine for one person.

One advantage to having a bedroom is as long as you leave your door curtain open you can see out both sides of the train without leaving to go to the sightseer lounge. That isn’t really an option in a roomette if the room across the aisle is occupied. In reality I spent a lot of time in the lounge so that’s not a deal breaker.

Couple of items to take: Duct tape and a power strip. I always got off the train and walked the platform at all of the smoke breaks. The beds are not comfortable. I slept horribly, and I’m very used to not sleeping in my own bed at home.

I’ll edit a few more comments or thoughts in if I think of them later.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Avoid the Zepyhr unless you wanna be 4 plus hours late to your destination! The empire builder ride to Montana is the best Amtrak route in the country! Having done it last summer it truly is the best. Both directions we were on time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Though the southwest chief isn't bad. Just avoid any route where UP and NS are the host routes. BNSF actually treats Amtrak with respect

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I've taken the Zephyr to Denver and back (from Chicago) in coach, and will never do that again. Trying to sleep in a chair that doesn't lay flat that also doesn't have an arm rest between you and a complete stranger isn't my idea of comfort. A few years after that I took the Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles in a roomette, much much better! A roomette is plenty of room for one person.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/