I thought we defused the railroad strike bomb...

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: I thought we defused the railroad strike bomb...

Unread post by PatAzo »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:15 pm
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... -rcna51543

I will give someone $10,000 if they can name SOMEONE who can step in and actually do something.
Have you paid out the $10K yet?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

PatAzo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:12 pm
David Collins wrote:

I will give someone $10,000 if they can name SOMEONE who can step in and actually do something.
No comment.

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R Bedell »

Good question. We will see if it was all "hot air". :lol: :lol:

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Working conditions aside. The recent attendance policy really pissed a lot of people off. These D**KH**Ds sitting in their Ivory towers, think that they are Robber Barons of old! And they are NOT! That being said, the railroads were built on the backs of men that knew what they were getting into. Today not so much. The stockholders are in charge and will suck every penny out of a business and cast it aside. There was a time when railroads knew what was needed to keep everything on an even keel. No, you will not please everyone. But without customers, You WILL perish. They may as well bring back the U.S.R.A. Cont.....

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/01/11401236 ... ill-senate

Looks like that $10,000 is back in my pocket, The senate voted yes to force employees to work, but no to adding sick days. I'm pretty sure that employees will still find a way to strike

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:44 pm
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/01/11401236 ... ill-senate

Looks like that $10,000 is back in my pocket, The senate voted yes to force employees to work, but no to adding sick days. I'm pretty sure that employees will still find a way to strike
If they do strike it’ll be illegal and the Unions could face serious repercussions.

And before somebody says “striking shouldn’t be illegal”, then I’d argue that businesses should be able to fire anybody they want to at any time then. Part of the deal with the Union System is you get significant protection, but you’re limited with how and when you can strike. Anybody else who voluntarily walks out of work to protest the company would get fired for it. So striking is actually a right added by the union system rather than a pre-existing right protected by it.

Expect the Union Leadership to press very hard for the membership not to take action. It isn’t in their best interest. Negotiations reopen again in 3 years.

It’s just like an election: you might not like how this one ended, but you get another shot at it in 5 years. So don’t blow the house up now, start to plot and conspire for the next round.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Notably, the version passed includes the addition of 7 paid sick days annually, a provision not included in the PEB nor any further negotiations, a huge win for the Unions, if it sticks.
So unfortunately, when the bill got to the senate, the provision to add the 7 paid sick days in got rejected. Almost all democrats in the senate voted to add the sick days, but almost every republican rejected paid sick days, so they couldn't get to the 60% threshold needed to add this. The senate came together though to say ok to pass the rest of the bill with the increase in pay, bonuses, and one "sick" day. Biden signed off on this as well.
If I'm understanding correctly, most engineers/conductors can mark off when needed when sick, as long as they aren't doing this too often, but don't get paid for that day off, right?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

~Z~ wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:06 pm
If I'm understanding correctly, most engineers/conductors can mark off when needed when sick, as long as they aren't doing this too often, but don't get paid for that day off, right?
On CSX, if you mark off "sick", you are assessed points, the number of which depend on what day of the week it is. If you have a valid medical reason and can provide official documentation from the health care professional you got treatment from, some or all of the points can be erased. You have to provide contact info from said health care professional so the Medical Department can follow-up if necessary as part of the point reduction process.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

~Z~ wrote:
The rules vary from craft to craft and railroad to railroad, but typically, yes they can take them but they're loaded with asterisks. Many times, if you can bring in a doctor's note, then the sick day is essentially "approved" but unpaid. Without a doctor's note, many systems require that one cover such a day with a vacation day, if there is still one in the employee's bank. That has obvious consequences later. Some systems also limit how many "sick" days you get before you start getting some form of points which can lead to discipline...some allow a handful, others allow none.

What all that means is that if you have a family member you need to care for who is sick, then you're SOL and stuck with the "unapproved" route. There's FMLA for recurring things with family members or the employee, but these are unpaid, period, unless the rules allow the employee to cover such events with a vacation day, but then they run into that issue.

Typically, Engineers and Conductors face tougher rules than Engineering or Mechanical Department employees. There's a reason why the trainmen led the effort to really push these negotiations.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

~Z~ wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Notably, the version passed includes the addition of 7 paid sick days annually, a provision not included in the PEB nor any further negotiations, a huge win for the Unions, if it sticks.
So unfortunately, when the bill got to the senate, the provision to add the 7 paid sick days in got rejected. Almost all democrats in the senate voted to add the sick days, but almost every republican rejected paid sick days, so they couldn't get to the 60% threshold needed to add this. The senate came together though to say ok to pass the rest of the bill with the increase in pay, bonuses, and one "sick" day. Biden signed off on this as well.
Why would the republicans in the senate vote for it when union leaders tell their members to vote democrat?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

vinceh145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by vinceh145 »

David Collins wrote:

The railroads can easily do something about it.
Oh sh*t! :shock: