Washington. D.C. Railfanning.

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Washington. D.C. Railfanning.

Unread post by Micah_D »

Heading to Maryland for spring break. Any good railfanning around Washington D.C? I know they have Union station that gets a fair amount of passenger traffic but what about freight?

Thanks,
Micah

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Washington. D.C. Railfanning.

Unread post by David Collins »

Maybe out of your reach but Cumberland and anywhere around the sand patch grade (Yes, I'm talking about THAT route in Train Sim World 2) is pretty good. Halethorpe on the Amtrak NEC is pretty cool too.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:30 am
Maybe out of your reach but Cumberland and anywhere around the sand patch grade (Yes, I'm talking about THAT route in Train Sim World 2) is pretty good. Halethorpe on the Amtrak NEC is pretty cool too.
I'm aware of Cumberland and yes it's out of my reach. Titled Washington D.C. for that reason. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Micah_D wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:20 am
Heading to Maryland for spring break. Any good railfanning around Washington D.C? I know they have Union station that gets a fair amount of passenger traffic but what about freight?

Thanks,
Micah
There are spots north of Union Station along New York Ave where you'll see the CSX line tracks starting to run parallel with Amtrak's 2 main line tracks. You can also see the facilities there that take care of the Amtrak equipment. It can be a "dicey" area in that location, that was part of Amtrak territory before retiring 3 years ago. I'll check google for the names of the buildings there along New York Ave & get back to you.

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

Thank you Tom! I appreciate the information!

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Micah_D wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:11 am
Thank you Tom! I appreciate the information!
Things have changed since I had retired LOL. The best spot would be behind the DC Office of Cable TV, Film & Music building at 1899 9th Street NE, Wash DC (about 3 miles north of Union Station). Go just past that building & at the Stop sign you'll be facing straight in front of you the entrance for Amtrak's Ivy City Maintenance Facility, turn Right & follow the road as it curves to the right taking you behind that DC Office of Cable TV building. It's a paved road and there are some over passes for shade. Looking straight down that road you'll see where CSX has a bridge for their trains. That road is used mostly for getting to Amtrak's other facilities & the VRE (Virginia Rail Express) yard.

Area is ok & there's a MacDonalds before you make the right turn at the light that takes you to the DC Office of Cable TV. I don't think anyone will mind you railfanning there & there are a couple of rust color metal (8 ft x 8 ft
size if I remember correctly) Amtrak signal houses you could park next to & get you off the road (watch out for railroad spikes that might be in the gravel parking area near those buildings).

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

https://goo.gl/maps/69RwSaSf8Fwju8wTA
I would think this would be the closest to Union Station to head to and be able to see CSX action. Just south of Union Station, and about the only spot I see where you can view the tracks ok.
Looks like Amtrak traffic that heads south of Union Station connects just to the east of this spot so you'll see this joint traffic here. I believe CSX freight runs on this section at least.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

Thank you both Tom and ~Z~! I appreciate you guys researching and providing me with detailed instructions and links to railfanning locations. I will be sure to share any trains I may catch. Thanks again!

Micah

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Micah_D wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:31 am
David Collins wrote:
I'm aware of Cumberland and yes it's out of my reach. Titled Washington D.C. for that reason. Thanks for the suggestion.
While Cumberland is 2.5 hours and 130+ miles away, how big is your search radius here?

I only ask because when I was in DC years ago we went a bit up the road to Harpers Ferry which definitely is a bucket list place. It's only about an hour away. Probably still too far but the above did let the idea into my mind, so there's that haha
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:48 pm
Micah_D wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:31 am
David Collins wrote:
While Cumberland is 2.5 hours and 130+ miles away, how big is your search radius here?

I only ask because when I was in DC years ago we went a bit up the road to Harpers Ferry which definitely is a bucket list place. It's only about an hour away. Probably still too far but the above did let the idea into my mind, so there's that haha
He said maryland which made me think he was talking about the state just in general, that's all
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

Spending tomorrow walking around touring D.C. so anywhere within walking distance haha. We are parking at Union station then walking everywhere from there.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Enjoy the walk around DC. I had a 6 hour layover there once on a Amtrak trip from South Bend IN to Miami. Walked south out of union station to the capital, went to 3 of the Smithsonian museums, over by the washington monument, saw the white house from afar, grabbed dinner and had plenty of time back at the union station before heading to FL. Didn't do any extra railfanning as I had a window seat to watch CSX for the next 24 hours :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com