Museum to save former NYC S1, RS3 and U25b

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Museum to save former NYC S1, RS3 and U25b

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... comotives/

I’m so glad that someone decided to jump on saving an S1, I don’t think many of them survive to this day.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Museum to save former NYC S1, RS3 and U25b

Unread post by GTW Dude »

These have been on the radar for preservation for years. there are 2 other S-Motors in preservation IIRC NYC 100 was the prototype unit that changed electric railroading forever and basically proved the reliability of electrification making it EXTREAMELY historically significant. it is the only S-1 in existence because any models built after that were subclassed S-2, S-3, etc. the NYC T-motor on the other hand is the last one in existence and is a very large unit to be handled. the RS3 and U25b i don't remember much but the U25 is former Conrail and has been tagged really hard. these were stored at the New York Glenmont power plant and owned by the local NRHS Chapter. when the plant closed the tracks were ripped up IIRC leaving these landlocked. it's going to take one heck of an effort to get those locomotives out of there and i highly doubt they will leave without any disassembly. Trust me when i say there are multiple groups around the country who would love to get their hands on one of these historically significant locomotives but the task at hand is so great, they won't give it a second look despite the unbelievable legacy they left which you would think would warrant a great effort like the one being attempted currently.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The article mentions they are landlocked due to bridge removal and poor soil conditions.
It also mentions disassembly.
As for groups wanting them...
Asbestos? PCBs? Wiring and other parts stripped? Money?
Moving them from one outdoor storage to another would be stupid.
If you want to preserve artifacts, get them under cover, out of the weather and safe from vandals.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

DaveO wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:37 pm
As for groups wanting them...
Asbestos? PCBs? Wiring and other parts stripped? Money?
Moving them from one outdoor storage to another would be stupid.
If you want to preserve artifacts, get them under cover, out of the weather and safe from vandals.
Would you rather have them be scrapped? Where would this large indoor facility to store large equipment come from? Who is cutting the check after over $100,000 of moving expenses. If they can move them however they store them will be better than a scrappers torch since these locomotives with limited production/ quantity remaining minus the RS3.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Scrapping is exactly what is happening to many pieces of equipment that have been stored out in the weather and subject to vandalism.
If you can't get it weather tight and secured, what good is spending money on it?
Money that might keep some other piece of equipment around in the years ahead.

It's just done quietly.