"The Bessemer" rare catch!!!!

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

"The Bessemer" rare catch!!!!

Unread post by Robertrains »

Well, as I have mentioned before, I have wanted to go see the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad® again for years! I myself only caught one outbound empty coal train at Conneaut, Ohio, May 2004 (saw it arrive too)! It was a great trip with my late Dad (RCJ I)! Also, I was back in the area with a "Creepy" kinda guy in 2019! That trip, 8-2019, only saw an engine sitting at the Conneaut docks (DMIR colored SD38 #862)! I never saw the "Black Bessemer!!!!" Also, SD38-2 #878 actually came back to the BLE in late 2019 (after being gone since 2010)! I caught that one in Birmingham, MI, 7-6-2019, running "Light" with a CN loco! Now, 878 recently departed again! SD38 #867 also left BLE!!!! OK, now CN has sent in five SD70M-2 locos and the six Illinois Central® SD70s have since departed! Those were in use there since 2015! I was mad when that happened, but sad I never saw them there. CN uses the SD70Ms for DPU! Well BLE SD40-3 #905 has remained on the property the whole time! It actually got a new nose after some accident as few years ago! Only three B&LE locos remain on the property and are used mainly for local trains! I may travel here with an old friend for Memorial weekend!!!! I am going to finally catch BLE locos running on BLE trackage!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The "Rare Catch" happened on Monday January 31! I noticed on a "Bessemer" Facebook® group! This was the northbound ore train with all three remaining BLE locomotives!!!!!! This is a catch that I would have loved to witness in person!!!!! It had BLE SD38 #868, BLE SD40-3 #905 and "DMIR" colored BLE SD38 #862!!!! A guy on Facebook® mentioned that this happens when the CN locos are in for maintenance and are only used on empties heading north! They ran "Light" south and will return to local duties! "Heritage Units" link of BLE 868: https://heritageunits.com/locomotive/detail/BLE868

Here's a picture that I (RLJ II) took of the empty coal train returning south at Conneaut OH in 2004! It was right after CN bought DMIR/BLE! It had three BLE SD40-3s!!!! :shock:
This was my only time seeing a B&LE train working, May 2004 (Canon® 35mm S.L.R.):
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4318716
Last edited by Robertrains on Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: "The Bessemer" rare catch!!!!

Unread post by AARR »

Nice picture, Robert. I too get excited when I see an SD38-2 :D .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...