60 hours on overnight Amtrak trains

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

60 hours on overnight Amtrak trains

Unread post by AARR »

I spent 60 hours on overnight Amtrak trains. Here are 9 things I wish I had known before I took the long-haul journeys.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/i- ... d=msedgntp
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: 60 hours on overnight Amtrak trains

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Lies, you didn't spend 60 hours on Amtrak.. the people writing the "article" did.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R Bedell »

LOL, this woman sounds like a "whine baby" to me.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I think you have to view the ride itself as part of your vacation to really enjoy it.
Yes. Flying usually makes more financial and practical sense. Unless one cannot fly for certain personal reasons; medical, criminal, etc, no reason to sit on a for days on a train or bus instead of a hours, (with or without a mask on) to reach a far destination.

The experience is what you make it and the writer seems to be quite fussy with an inflated sense of quality of life that *could* come from certain privilege. The train or bus ride is apart of a more memorable vacation experience to view parts of the country otherwise not visible from the sky (the value depends on where), and will usually have more memorable stories to tell and pictures to share, and *usually* around like minded people to mingle with to share and learn different perspectives from different places to live.

The worst part of Amtrak long distance service was the lack of quality prepared meals, substituted by pre-prepared, convience priced, microwaved meals of mediocre quality that end up over cooked, only worthy of being consumed for survival purposes. Thankfully that has changed as of June of 2021 for the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Texas Eagle (for service between San Antonio and Los Angeles).