Jim Squires announces retirement

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Jim Squires announces retirement

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 36142.html

Honestly it’s about time, in a sense he’s ruined the railroads’ reputation with derailments several times weekly and employees getting hurt on the job
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jim Squires announces retirement

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Probably off to screw up something else ! Hope he chokes on his golden parachute .

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Which Class 1 railroad CEO has done a good job, by your standards?

Don’t say Wick because he liked steam and heritage units. That’s not business.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

bnsfben wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:36 pm
Which Class 1 railroad CEO has done a good job, by your standards?

Don’t say Wick because he liked steam and heritage units. That’s not business.
Jim Foote, current CEO of CSX, he turned the railroad around after Hunter Harrison did his damage, EHH ruined the railroads safety record, causing several fatal derailments (including some involving Amtrak). Foote has also regained the shareholders’ trust on Wall Street, and the railroad is doing better than it was under the leadership of EHH.

To be honest, I don’t pick favorite railroads because of their locomotives or paint jobs or whatever, but by their safety record and how they’re doing in terms of finances. I’m trying to become a railroader myself and I’m trying to see what railroads will last long enough so I could possibly be employed by them.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:07 pm
EHH ruined the railroads safety record, causing several fatal derailments (including some involving Amtrak).
Few, if any, safety lapses can be directly blamed on a single-source like that. Ultimately most are about people not following the rules. Now you can potentially argue training, fatigue or compliance culture are to blame, but it is still an uphill battle to prove that, especially for any particular case, because the people in the field are ultimately responsible for being safe and following the rules.

Plus, nearly all incidents are not single-source and come about due to a number of factors. One or more of these may be management's doing, but there are supposed to be many factors of safety in just about everything, so it is, again, hard to blame any one thing (including management) for this, that or the other thing when it comes to safety issues.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow