Ft. Madison, Iowa

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Ft. Madison, Iowa

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Has anyone stayed or did rail-fanning in Ft. Madison,Ia. ? I found a great rail cam https://youtu.be/-iqX8uiqz5A?list=PLR9j ... HQLp0YzD2t . I'm told they have up to 60 trains a day, with barge traffic on the Mississippi R. to watch as well. My wife and I plan to travel there in about two weeks. Any recommendations as where to stay and what to see while there?

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ft. Madison, Iowa

Unread post by Mark F »

The cameras are mounted on the Kingsley Inn. 60 trains/day may be on the low side. We stayed there for a couple days last fall. Very nice place and pretty reasonable. They give a 10% discount if you mention Virtual Railfan.

James Sofonia

Mark F wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 pm
The cameras are mounted on the Kingsley Inn. 60 trains/day may be on the low side. We stayed there for a couple days last fall. Very nice place and pretty reasonable. They give a 10% discount if you mention Virtual Railfan.
Thanks Mark. Yes watching on the rail cam I see it is quite busy there. Two trains going North, one South, a big loaded barge on the river, and cars on the upper deck of the bridge, all at the same time! We've made reservations at the Kingsley Inn.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The best viewing spot for the bridge is from the marina on the Iowa side. They don’t mind people hanging out there one bit. Only issue is if the water is high then that land doesn’t exist!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

James Sofonia wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am
Mark F wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 pm
Thanks Mark. Yes watching on the rail cam I see it is quite busy there. Two trains going North, one South, a big loaded barge on the river, and cars on the upper deck of the bridge, all at the same time! We've made reservations at the Kingsley Inn.
The first track from the hotel is the BNSF Hannibal Sub (also known as the K-Line) that runs from Burlington, IA to St Louis. Although it runs compass N-S, the BNSF considers it E-W with toward St Louis as westward. There are mostly coal trains and a local on that line. The next two mains that cross the river are the E-W BNSF Chillicothe Sub, also known as the "transcon." That Sub hosts a near constant parade of traffic from Chicago and Galesburg to KC and beyond. Most of these trains change crews at the Ft Madison yard, except the manifest trains from/to Galesburg Yard that just pass right on through. The barge traffic and swing bridge are also of interest to me since I worked for a few years on a swing bridge upriver in the Quad-Cities. The majority of tows are empty going upriver and loaded coming down -- lots of grain. You'll see many that have the full complement of 15 barges -- 3 across by 5 long. With the towboat, you're talking about 1200 feet long! I've never stayed in Ft Madison, but enjoy watching the cam there. I worked for BNSF for about 7 years including 2 years in Ft Worth doing remote clerical work for locals in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska -- among other places.

James Sofonia

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm

The first track from the hotel is the BNSF Hannibal Sub (also known as the K-Line) that runs from Burlington, IA to St Louis. Although it runs compass N-S, the BNSF considers it E-W with toward St Louis as westward. There are mostly coal trains and a local on that line. The next two mains that cross the river are the E-W BNSF Chillicothe Sub, also known as the "transcon." That Sub hosts a near constant parade of traffic from Chicago and Galesburg to KC and beyond. Most of these trains change crews at the Ft Madison yard, except the manifest trains from/to Galesburg Yard that just pass right on through. The barge traffic and swing bridge are also of interest to me since I worked for a few years on a swing bridge upriver in the Quad-Cities. The majority of tows are empty going upriver and loaded coming down -- lots of grain. You'll see many that have the full complement of 15 barges -- 3 across by 5 long. With the towboat, you're talking about 1200 feet long! I've never stayed in Ft Madison, but enjoy watching the cam there. I worked for BNSF for about 7 years including 2 years in Ft Worth doing remote clerical work for locals in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska -- among other places.
C&O, thanks for the inside info.

James Sofonia

C&O Dispatcher wrote:

I worked for BNSF for about 7 years including 2 years in Ft Worth doing remote clerical work for locals in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska -- among other places.
C&O, since you worked for them for some time, do you know why all the rail traffic seems to be going slow in this area?

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

James Sofonia wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:23 pm
C&O Dispatcher wrote:

I worked for BNSF for about 7 years including 2 years in Ft Worth doing remote clerical work for locals in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska -- among other places.
C&O, since you worked for them for some time, do you know why all the rail traffic seems to be going slow in this area?
There is a speed restriction of 25-35 MPH over the swing bridge, so they are moving at that speed as they pass in view from the hotel there. On the K-Line, there's a 25 MPH restriction through the Fort Madison area, and 10 MPH (head end only) restriction approaching the road crossing that is right at the foot of bridge on the Iowa side. Although vehicles aren't supposed to stop on the tracks if they are in line to go over the bridge, I'm guessing that's the reason for the restriction for trains on the K-Line. A couple other notes: the bridge is owned and maintained by BNSF and there is a bridge tender there 24/7 who controls the bridge as well as the signals and derails on both sides of the bridge. You can see the eastward signals just beyond the road crossing that goes into the park area. The bridge tender has to work in conjunction with the BNSF dispatcher it Ft Worth since it's all signaled (CTC) territory. The K-Line is dispatched from Ft Worth as well by track warrant control (TWC), which is verbal authority from the dispatcher via radio, copied and repeated back by the train conductor or engineer.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

If you are a light sleeper I would suggest wearing some type of hearing suppression device as Ft Madison trains are not subject to any "quiet zone" rules.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Definitely more than 60 trains a day on the Marceline sub. The line has to see 80 trains a day due to more mixed freights, grain trains, sand trains and etc joining the line from Galesburg. Would also recommend visiting Galesburg IL, more than 90 BNSF trains a day from several BNSF lines converging.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

James Sofonia wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Has anyone stayed or did rail-fanning in Ft. Madison,Ia. ? I found a great rail cam https://youtu.be/-iqX8uiqz5A?list=PLR9j ... HQLp0YzD2t . I'm told they have up to 60 trains a day, with barge traffic on the Mississippi R. to watch as well. My wife and I plan to travel there in about two weeks. Any recommendations as where to stay and what to see while there?
I did a full weekend there, however it's because I have family a few minutes from the tracks, I'd say however from the reviews the kingsley inn is probably your best bet. It's very busy too, I saw 56 trains in two days
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

James Sofonia

David Collins wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am
I did a full weekend there, however it's because I have family a few minutes from the tracks, I'd say however from the reviews the kingsley inn is probably your best bet. It's very busy too, I saw 56 trains in two days
Dave, thanks for the post. I've taken my trip to there and back. Was quite a good experience! I am handy caped and use a scooter to get around. The Kingsley was easy to get around with glass elevator and no steps. The staff is very nice there, the hotel caters mostly to rail fans. Getting across the tracks to the park there was also close and doable. I saw three trains on the move, a riverboat steamer with tourists, a barge, and trucks on the bridge all at the same time! Does train watching get any better? I'll post more with pictures in "Trip Reports" soon.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Just got back from a couple night stay at the Kingsley. (Of course they decide to open a three hour maintenance window on the bridge the morning we were leaving) Was talking to Chi Easton, the manager. She convinced the owners to sponsor the installation of the camera but was told that it had to pay for itself within two years. She said that it only took six weeks and that railfan bookings kept the Inn from closing down last year. Other railroad hotspot cities are now calling her for her input.

James Sofonia

Mark F wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:56 am
Just got back from a couple night stay at the Kingsley.Was talking to Chi Easton, the manager. She convinced the owners to sponsor the installation of the camera but was told that it had to pay for itself within two years. She said that it only took six weeks and that railfan bookings kept the Inn from closing down last year. Other railroad hotspot cities are now calling her for her input.
I met Chi when I stayed there, she is quite a wealth of information and gave me one of her railfan packs. It includes a hand drawn map of what to see and do in the area. Thank you Chi.

JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JBaxter »

I know they just added a new platform to the depot there. Any word on when they will start boarding Amtrak trains from there?

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

JBaxter wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 pm
I know they just added a new platform to the depot there. Any word on when they will start boarding Amtrak trains from there?
I was told that the station is not ADA compliant. Depends on how much time and money it will take to rectify that situation. Have also heard that there was a dispute on staffing issues at the depot.

James Sofonia

JBaxter wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 pm
My newly made friends tell me the are all done with the exterior and the last of the interior is looking like mid December.