CP to Buy KCS

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
kd_1014
Mike

Re: CP to Buy KCS

Unread post by kd_1014 »

It was me I rode the train cause im buying KCS

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

kd_1014 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:36 am
It was me I rode the train cause im buying KCS
I KNEW IT
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Drove by the KCS yard here in Kansas City, one of the signs said Canadian Pacific & Kansas City Southern, so I guess the merger is really starting to come into effect here.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Remember when SF and SP started painting engines only to have their agreement rescinded :lol:
David Collins wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 am
Drove by the KCS yard here in Kansas City, one of the signs said Canadian Pacific & Kansas City Southern, so I guess the merger is really starting to come into effect here.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Kodachrome :!: but not for long 8)

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

David Collins wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 am
CPR has served Kansas City for decades. I do not believe “the merger is really starting to come into effect here.“

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

If it's this sign, google captured the image back during May, 2015.
https://goo.gl/maps/a4h7mgm2wz4ZV59F8
It used to state IC&E before it stated CP.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

STB approves the purchase of KCS by CP.
The Surface Transportation Board today issued its decision approving the acquisition of Kansas City Southern Railway Company (KCS) by Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (CP), with conditions. The decision includes an unprecedented seven-year oversight period and contains many conditions designed to mitigate environmental impacts, preserve competition, protect railroad workers, and promote efficient passenger rail. The Board also anticipates the merger will result in improvements in safety and the reduction of carbon emissions.
https://www.stb.gov/news-communications ... /pr-23-07/
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

PerRock wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:03 am
The Surface Transportation Board today issued its decision approving the acquisition of Kansas City Southern Railway Company (KCS) by Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (CP), with conditions. The decision includes an unprecedented seven-year oversight period and contains many conditions designed to mitigate environmental impacts, preserve competition, protect railroad workers, and promote efficient passenger rail. The Board also anticipates the merger will result in improvements in safety and the reduction of carbon emissions.
when they say "promote efficient passenger rail", does that imply new passenger rail or just improvements to current routes?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Talk wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:07 am
PerRock wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:03 am
when they say "promote efficient passenger rail", does that imply new passenger rail or just improvements to current routes?
Passenger Rail – CP has one of the best Amtrak on-time performance records in the industry and has won Amtrak’s support for this merger. CPKC has committed to supporting Amtrak’s expansion plans, and to funding infrastructure improvements. As a result of the merger, CPKC will allow Amtrak to add new passenger service over the KCS-owned lines between New Orleans and Baton Rouge and the CP-owned lines through the Detroit River Tunnel between Detroit, Mich. and Windsor, Ontario. The Board recognizes the agreements between CP and Amtrak and imposes them as a condition for merger approval.

The Board also requires CPKC to adhere to the numerous commitments made regarding Metra and the surrounding Chicago communities, including: Installing and funding Positive Train Control wireless technology tie-ins at crossings located adjacent to Metra platforms; not permitting CPKC freight trains running between Kansas City, Missouri, and St. Paul, Minnesota, to operate over certain Metra Lines, except in emergency or other non-routine situations or when agreed upon; installing and funding Intelligent Transportation Systems Interconnect for Advanced Warning Signs and a predictive mobility system to deliver advanced notice of blocked crossings; and working with Metra to enhance communication about dispatching decisions to avoid delay to Metra’s scheduled trains. The decision also establishes a dispute resolution mechanism to ensure that any service issues between Metra and CPKC are handled in a timely and cooperative manner.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Looks like the "Empress" will indeed be headed to Mexico City.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

A wise man once said, "Just a feeling I got, that somethings about to happen, and I don't know what. If I think it means what I think it means, we are in trouble, big trouble".

Kinda sums up my thoughts on this situation.

Bonus points to whoever can guess the song/artist :)

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

None of the other railroads that wanted concessions got anything so im thinking Clinton Iowa will be a very interesting place to railfan we will see how UP treats these CPKC trains or what kind of priority they receive on the shared track in town.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:39 pm
A wise man once said, "Just a feeling I got, that somethings about to happen, and I don't know what. If I think it means what I think it means, we are in trouble, big trouble".

Kinda sums up my thoughts on this situation.

Bonus points to whoever can guess the song/artist :)
Eminem's "Rap God"
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

:shock: I myself wanted Kansas City Southern® to stay independent! Though this should be interesting! CP/KC will allow Amtrak® to finally go back through the Detroit tunnel to Windsor!!!! This shall be good! Maybe they finally will use the old Michigan Central® station, though it seems Ford® tore out the tracks! Originally I thought they were keeping tracks in place for future train travel! Recently torn out and now trains may come back? Huh!!!!! :shock: :? :shock: 🤯 🤯 🤯 🤯 😳 😳 😳 😳 🤯 🤯 🤯 🤯

Also, I don't see Panama Canal Railway® as part of the transaction! Will that railway once again be independent? :?: I rode that train with my late Dad (RCJ I)! 😳 😳 😳 😳

Check out this picture that I (RLJ II) took of the Panama Canal Railway® train we are about to board, March 2009, Colón, Panama (Canon 35mm S.L.R.): Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5571793
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

The reaction from the 12 year old foamers on instagram is comical, now they're bashing KCS for buying out CP instead of bashing NS as the worst railroad ever because they won't wash their heritage units :lol: , I guess you were right Mr. Saturnalia!
Last edited by David Collins on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:29 am
The reaction from the 12 year old foamers on instagram is comical, now they're bashing KCS for buying out CP instead of bashing NS as the worst railroad ever because they won't wash their heritage units :lol: , I guess you were right Mr. Saturnalia!
LOL! I won’t name him but a person on instagram went on a rant about how it should’ve been CNKC instead of CPKC, popcorn anyone?
Resident GE foamer :lol:
18 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Railfan_Julian8849 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:16 am
...popcorn anyone?
A dump truck of it with extra butter :)

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

The rumor that CP will buy the Grand Rapids and Plymouth subs has started up again on Facebook, I need to restock my popcorn
Resident GE foamer :lol:
18 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

CP's aiming for an April 14th start date for CPKC.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... tart-date/

Also, they're aiming to start hotshot perishable service between Chicago and Mexico later this spring.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... shipments/