If you own a drone, read this

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

If you own a drone, read this

Unread post by David Collins »

Last weekend, my drone joined hundreds of fallen comrades at the bottom of Lake Charlevoix.

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet, if the blades on your drone look discolored and/or slightlybent. Change them, IMMIEDIATELY.

I did purchase a warranty for this drone, so thankfully it wasn't an expensive mistake. So I am very lucky that I didn't have to pay for an all new one. So please, change your blades regularly and if you see even a little defect in them, change them. Thank you for your time.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: If you own a drone, read this

Unread post by Michael »

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Good to know. I guess I better do that like soon. I never thought that minor defects would cause much more than more noise. S
Any idea on how or why your Drone crashed?
Mark it Zero.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

A No.1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:12 pm
Any idea on how or why your Drone crashed?
I got a message saying Motor Error, check propellers. Which normally means something happened with the rotors, unfortunately, I never recovered it. It was probably destroyed on impact anyway, given the fact it hit the water at 110 Mph.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:12 pm
It was probably destroyed on impact anyway, given the fact it hit the water at 110 Mph.
:lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

J T wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:38 am
David Collins wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:12 pm
It was probably destroyed on impact anyway, given the fact it hit the water at 110 Mph.
:lol:
Seriously, it actually did hit at 110, the last altitude reading gave it at 30 feet and traveling at 110 (I rounded to 110 since it's close enough)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Yeah, the reading was definitely off. No way a mini is going to achieve that speed.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:07 pm
Last weekend, my drone joined hundreds of fallen comrades at the bottom of Lake Charlevoix.

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet, if the blades on your drone look discolored and/or slightlybent. Change them, IMMIEDIATELY.

I did purchase a warranty for this drone, so thankfully it wasn't an expensive mistake. So I am very lucky that I didn't have to pay for an all new one. So please, change your blades regularly and if you see even a little defect in them, change them. Thank you for your time.
I am curious what drone and who the warranty is through. Last I checked, DJI requires the drone in order to make a claim, if it's lost at sea you are on your own. I typically tape empty plastic bottles to my drones so they float when flying over the water. You can buy self-inflating units for larger drones.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Struggen wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:00 am
David Collins wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:07 pm

I am curious what drone and who the warranty is through. Last I checked, DJI requires the drone in order to make a claim, if it's lost at sea you are on your own. I typically tape empty plastic bottles to my drones so they float when flying over the water. You can buy self-inflating units for larger drones.
DIN Magic Mini 2, the warranty is through DJI themselves. You just submit a fly-away claim and you pay a deductible.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:56 pm
DIN Magic Mini 2, the warranty is through DJI themselves. You just submit a fly-away claim and you pay a deductible.
No wonder I never heard of it, none of my drones are covered. :( Glad you to hear you got a replacement though. 8) I have felt that sick, empty feeling in my gut many times as I watched one crash somewhere I thought it was unrecoverable from. I even had one crash on the people mover tracks in Detroit a few years ago after doing one to many power loops (This was in the middle of COVID when it wasn't running). Thankfully I had some very adventurous friends who figured out a way to get up on the track and get it for me. Didn't care about the drone so much as the GoPro footage. That's the priceless part no warranty will cover.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I started downloading the best shots from the Drone to my smart controller during my trips just in case the Drone is lost. At least I'll have something.

My Mavic Air 2s lost 1 blade over GM in Lansing and I never knew it until I got it close to me. I could hear the difference in prop noise. I landed it only to discover the missing blade.
Mark it Zero.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Struggen wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:58 am
David Collins wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:56 pm
No wonder I never heard of it, none of my drones are covered. :( Glad you to hear you got a replacement though. 8) I have felt that sick, empty feeling in my gut many times as I watched one crash somewhere I thought it was unrecoverable from. I even had one crash on the people mover tracks in Detroit a few years ago after doing one to many power loops (This was in the middle of COVID when it wasn't running). Thankfully I had some very adventurous friends who figured out a way to get up on the track and get it for me. Didn't care about the drone so much as the GoPro footage. That's the priceless part no warranty will cover.
You can get insurance coverage for it. I use State Farm for insuring my drone. $45 a year. I didn't bother at all with the DJI Care Refresh insurance.