Daily Uploads

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Daily Uploads

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Like most photographers, I have a huge backlog of photos I haven’t edited. Recently, I’ve also started going back and re-processing some of my older photos, now that I’m much more familiar with Lightroom and Photoshop. The thing I’ve found that helps me the most with whittling down my backlog is to upload at least one photo per day. Lately I’ve been uploading 2 per day. There are some days I’m too busy to be on my computer, but for the most part I’ve missed very few days for over 2 years now.

Anyway, I thought I’d start a thread here where we could each post our daily railroad photography uploads. You don’t have to post daily, either, you can also simply post whenever you upload a photo. Maybe it will be as helpful for you as it has been for me?

ImageSD60s on Q334 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A pair of CSX's original 10 EMD SD60s, 8705 and 8700, pull hard as they drag Q334 up and out of Grand Rapids. Back then, CSX could still put together some great power sets! 2/12/2011

Image36E in the Hole by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Northound Elkhart-Grand Rapids freight 36E is in the siding at Three Rivers, waiting for its southbound counterpart 37E. 36E normally arrived in to Grand Rapids by late morning, while 37E almost always left under the cover of darkness. This is all the Grand Elk RR today. 6/12/2008
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Daily Uploads

Unread post by David Collins »

thought this a cool photo, used it for a school project where we had to display the colors red, blue and yellow in images.
Attachments
51796997919_4c0be24026_o.jpg
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 am
Like most photographers, I have a huge backlog of photos I haven’t edited. Recently, I’ve also started going back and re-processing some of my older photos, now that I’m much more familiar with Lightroom and Photoshop.
Been doing that a bit myself. One thing I'm noticing is that 10+ years ago I tended to crop things a bit tighter. On quite a few that I've reprocessed, I've thought to myself, "What the hell was I thinking??" :lol:

Here's an example. Originally processed in October of 2008:

And then redone on October 18, 2021:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I did the same thing back then. Apparently I only cared about the train and not about the scene as a whole. How times have changed!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageDaily Ritual by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Cumbres & Toltec K36 #484 is ready to leave with the morning departure from Antonito, during the last week of the C&TS' regular 2021 season. In about 30 minutes, the husky little 2-8-2 will whistle off and head for New Mexico. 10/18/2021

ImageThe Dunes by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

An eastbound BNSF intermodal climbs its way out of Needles through the sand dunes along the Colorado River. During most of our trip the weather was relatively cool, but it was HOT there that day! 4/14/2018

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ImageRDC=Reunited David & Casey by David R. Collins, on Flickr

A photo I took on my trip to Boston that I will never forget, looking at the Newport and Narragansett Bay Railroad Co.'s two RDC's and having my best friend standing next to me that I miss so much already. We almost died of heatstroke since heat indexes were over 100 degrees :lol:. Just another moment in the friendship she and I have had that's lasted our whole lives.

ImageDad and 16G by David R. Collins, on Flickr

My dad has sacrificed his own free time to take me railfanning sometimes, and quite frankly he still loves the hobby even as he's an executive at a big company.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageOLI Geep by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Grand Trunk Western GP38-2 #5856, still wearing its Operation Lifesaver graphics, leads local L500 west along the Flint Sub near Duffield. The train will work Durand yard, then head back to Flint. As of 2022, the venerable ex Rock Island Geep is still proudly wearing its GTW blue. 2/4/2011

ImageDRGW GP30 #3006 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A former Rio Grande EMD GP30 sits on display at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, CO. This old Geep languished in the elements in Colorado for almost 20 years between retirement and donation. Its cosmetic restoration is on-going, and I'm told there are plans to re-install the nose mounted Gyra light. 10/21/2021

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181920529 ... ed-public/

D706 splitting the signals at Williamston

Q327 heading through Grandville after departing Wyoming Yard with a wildfire sunrise behind.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageElkhart Memories by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A former Conrail SD50 leads a leased SD40-2 and a GP38-2 around the curve and into the yard in Elkhart. This was during the fall 2010 Railroadfan.com Meet, which we had at the New York Central Museum in Elkhart. The museum really rolled out the red carpet for us, allowing us to spend the night inside and even renting us a scissor lift for photos, which is how I got this view. 10/2/2010

ImageMorning Z151 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The hustle of the morning rush is through as Marquette Rail's Z151 rolls south across Fulton St, bisecting Grand Valley State University's Pew campus. Fan-favorite GLLX #3001 leads GMTX #2648 and GLLX #3002 on this pleasant fall morning. 10/22/2010

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 am

A former Conrail SD50 leads a leased SD40-2 and a GP38-2 around the curve and into the yard in Elkhart. This was during the fall 2010 Railroadfan.com Meet, which we had at the New York Central Museum in Elkhart. The museum really rolled out the red carpet for us, allowing us to spend the night inside and even renting us a scissor lift for photos, which is how I got this view. 10/2/2010
A night that will live in infamy. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

CSX Office Car Special P001-25 heading over the Thornapple River enroute to Toledo on August 25th.

Q327 passing a old barn west of Hudsonville on a foggy morning.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageGlug Glug Glug by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Huron & Eastern's 701 is northbound out of Durand with C30-7s #5086 and #5175 leading one of the GP38ACs and a long, heavy train. The sight and sound of these vintage GEs battling their way out of Durand towards Lennon is something I'll always remember! 2/4/2011

ImageATSF #2912 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Santa Fe 4-8-4 #2912 is displayed prominently in front of the former ATSF depot at the Pueblo Railroad Museum. Built in 1944 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, the 30 "2900 Class" engines were the heaviest 4-8-4s ever built, and among the largest at over 121 feet long from coupler to coupler. The locomotive was donated to the city of Pueblo after being retired in 1959.

Though it is unlikely that #2912 will ever run again, sister engine #2926 in New Mexico has undergone a complete restoration to operating condition, and should be hitting the rails for the first time in 2022. 10/17/2021

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ImageIn a blur by David R. Collins, on Flickr

GTW GP38AC #5832 leads CN L513 north by Bloomfield Hills, Mi.

Image352 by David R. Collins, on Flickr

IDTX SC44 Charger #4615 leads Amtrak 352 by Bloomfield Hills, Mi on a GORGEOUS summer evening.

ImageSmokin’ a brisket by David R. Collins, on Flickr

NS SD70ACe #1038 smokes it up as it leads NS 14Q through Millbury, Ohio

ImageElephant Thorughbreds by David R. Collins, on Flickr

3 NS Dash 9's lead NS 331 south through Wyandotte.
Last edited by David Collins on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Nicely done pan shot David. 🙂

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageInbound Marquette by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

There was a time when the Mighty Marquette could throw together some truly colorful consists. It's a cold day in February of 2010 as the Z151 rolls into CSX's Wyoming Yard on the even, behind 3 GP38-2s and 2 SD40-2s. GMTX #2652 still sports its extended cab from its Penn Central days, built with dual control stands for switching refineries out east. 2/27/2010

ImageGRE Interchange by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Norfolk Southern's B49, running as Z739 on CSX, is about to cross the Grand Rapids Eastern diamond at Fuller with a long string of interchange traffic. The high hood GP38-2 will leave the train in the old Conrail yard north of the diamond, pick up whatever the GRE left for them, and head south back to Hughart Yard. 6/19/2007

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageMichigan Line Cabbage by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

NPCU #90225 leads what I believe was Amtrak 353 west through Lawton. Amtrak's NPCUs were a common sight on the Michigan Line trains until 110 mph running was implemented. I believe the cabbages are only cleared for 90 mph operation. JT and I were in town on this day waiting for SP #4449 on its trip back west from Train Festival. 7/31/2009

ImageGTW's Grand Rapids Depot by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Here's another print that I purchased a while back. This photo shows Grand Trunk Western K4a Pacific #5627 with an eastbound passenger train, likely train 56, at the depot in Grand Rapids. On the right is the rear of the Grand Haven “Daily Except Sunday” mixed train, getting ready to leave town with a combine on the rear. There was no date on the print, but since the new depot was built in 1948 (?), I would say this was taken sometime in the 1950s. The GTW's passenger trains through GR ran with steam until I believe late 1958, when they were replaced with passenger service GP9s. The GTW would discontinue passenger service on the Grand Rapids subdivision all together in 1959. No photographer noted.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ImageSpaghetti by David R. Collins, on Flickr

The Grand Elk interchange job negotiates the crossovers at Elkhart, Indiana.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Coopersville and Marne Santa Train on December 19th of this year
Attachments
coop1.jpg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageGodfrey by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A pair of CSX AC motors lead by SD70AC #4716 is getting underway from Grand Rapids with Toledo-bound freight Q334 in tow. The train has just passed under the old Pere Marquette cantilever at Godfrey Ave, which would stand here for a few more years before being reitred. Q334 was usually always a very large and heavy train, largely thanks to the vast amount of casting sand off of the Michigan Shore. The large cut of 2 bay hoppers on the head end illustrates this well. 2/18/2011

ImageThe Berk by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Pere Marquette #1225 steams quietly between North Pole Express runs as the locomotive is serviced by SRI volunteers in Owosso. The festive wreath around the headlight elicited many angry and confused cries from all of the junior foamers that weekend. 12/19/2021

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageThe Barn by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

After shoving their train into the CSX and Grand Elk interchange tracks, the Grand Rapids Eastern crew heads for the engine house. The original GRE logo still adorned the door at this time, but has since been painted over. 10/21/2011

ImageOn Their Knees by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

According to the tonnage graphs, a pair of SD40-2s is rated for 9,000 tons east of Grand Rapids. As every railroader knows, tonnage graphs don't always reflect reality, and are often made with brand new locomotives under ideal conditions. D706 on this day was 8,950 tons, just shy of the limit for these 40+ year old Conrail veterans. Both units are screaming as they approach the crest of the Thornapple grade at Snow Rd, down to about 7 mph. Thankfully, gravity didn't win on this day! 12/16/2021