Shutter speed/FPS question

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Shutter speed/FPS question

Unread post by GTW Dude »

For a few years now I have used a Cannon Vixia G40 to film trains over the years and over those said few years every time I pause the video the locomotive or rolling stock lettering/logo is a blur even when moving at slower speeds. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this So when I pause it I at least get a clearer picture. I have no clue if it is due to the shutter speed or the fact I have the camera at 30 FPS any help would be appreciated and any suggestions of FPS/shutter Speeds would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Shutter speed/FPS question

Unread post by GTWChris »

This could be due to compression or interlacing. Generally, you're not going to be looking at a video frame by frame and each frame is going to be compressed moreso than you would see in a still camera which could cause it to look blurry.
Last edited by GTWChris on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

60 frames will help. But then you'll have to look at your shutter speed. Higher shutter speeds will be less blurry, since each frame will be composed of a shorter window of time, thus it will have less motion blur.

My camcorder automatically adjusts ISO and Shutter based on my "exposure" setting. I always shoot in 60 frames but when it's darker you can definitely tell when you stop the video that the shutter speed was slowed down quite a bit.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

In general, the shutter speed should be no more than twice the FPS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.