HO Scale CN Lake Orion Branch (former PO&N) dorm layout!

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

HO Scale CN Lake Orion Branch (former PO&N) dorm layout!

Unread post by David Collins »

So I’ve got good news, bad news, and a solution to the bad news.

I was accepted to Ferris State University (hoping to major in marketing) and a special program for people with autism, which means it’s going to be me, myself and I in a single dorm room.

The bad news however is that I’m leaving my HO Scale NS Portland Secondary behind, my dad is finally going to have some time to finish the layout and add scenery, but I still want my fix!

The solution? The modular CN Lake Orion branch!

Yes, you heard that right, I’m going to have a model railroad in my dorm room. I have already gotten permission from the people running the dorms, and I have PLENTY of space to work with. It’ll be split into 5 modules each, so it can be easily moved during the summer if I move out of the dorm, or if it’s being transported elsewhere.

I’ve already started track planning since I have the dimensions of the dorm I’m staying in. It’ll be in an L shape configuration, 5 feet wide by 18 feet long. Starting in Pontiac yard with 4 yard tracks, the switcher turns on the wye and heads east. Starting switching at Bolyard lumber, then switching the GM stamping plant, then eventually switching the GM orion facility.

I’m planning on basing this layout in the year 2006, so I’m probably going to be in the market for GT painted or CN painted (GTW patched) GP38-2’s, in order to make it look more prototypical.

This layout will be operated under a card order system (like mine at home) and will also have several run around points.

I’m going to use this thread as an updates page, I’m also looking for any information that I should know about the branch pre-2008, so if anyone has any info, feel free to share!

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: HO Scale CN Lake Orion Branch (former PO&N) dorm layout!

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Congrats on your acceptance to Ferris! Looking forward to some layout updates.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

For operating interest don’t Ferrous Processing (very large scrap yard) and the beer distributor east of Orion Yard used to receive insulated box cars (4-6 per week and it would have been more had they stayed with rail service).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

AARR wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:06 am
For operating interest don’t Ferrous Processing (very large scrap yard) and the beer distributor east of Orion Yard used to receive insulated box cars (4-6 per week and it would have been more had they stayed with rail service).
What kind of cars did ferrous recieve?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

FP is an active customer. They load scrap metal into gondolas. Usually around 1-2 cars per week. They have a huge scrap yard and could load a lot more rail cars than one or two but everything else goes out by truck.
David Collins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:49 pm
AARR wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:06 am
What kind of cars did ferrous recieve?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...