What Design Table Legs Do You Use?

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

What Design Table Legs Do You Use?

Unread post by GTW Dude »

I'm looking at finally getting my layout off the ground and working on it this coming winter. I've got all the things to make something nice but I have a couple questions, What design for the table legs to hold up the base should I use and what kind of wood you guys are using? I'm looking at doing this layout in multiple sections around 6 feet each which can be disassembled. I'm also looking at wiring this layout for DCC. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What Design Table Legs Do You Use?

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Find a module standard for the scale you're working in. You don't have to follow it exactly, but it will give you a pre-determined method of wiring (especially for DCC) and modules building. Many of the module standards are tried and true, and will give you a good starting point.

Personally, I'm stringing a couple Ntrak modules together in my basement with non-standard loop modules at either end to allow for continuous running. I need to build a couple more tables that won't be coming out of the basement (unless we move) but which will be wired to Ntrak standards and will connect to the Ntrak modules using the Ntrak standards, so that I can continue to bring my Ntrak modules once or twice a year when our club sets up Ntrak.

As I'm guessing you're in HO, the Ntrak standards are probably a little light for you, but could be a starting place. You'll want to keep your electronics as modular as possible, both for troubleshooting and to make it easier to disassemble everything as necessary. Also, if you are planning to disassemble the layout for one or more moves, use lighter materials for construction, such as foam board instead of plywood for the base, to make it easier (less heavy) to move.

It's probably not going to help much, but I use 2x2 furring strips for legs, bolted onto each corner of my modules. I've used 2x4 legs as well, but they're unnecessarily heavy and aren't as easy to level as the square legs are.
~ Charles W.