CSX GP30 Slug Information

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
amessmann
Signal Maintainer

CSX GP30 Slug Information

Unread post by amessmann »

For those more knowledgeable on the CSX roster, ScaleTrains just released their GP30 Slug: https://www.scaletrains.com/rivet-count ... ealth.html

They don't have a non-slug unit so I presume they were paired with other types of engines. Which ones? Other Slug information is appreciated!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: CSX GP30 Slug Information

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Sure thing. CSX RD Slugs were numbered 2200-2330 inclusive and were created from a mixture of GP30s and GP35s which had their prime movers removed. All were semi permanently mated to slug mothers, GP40-2s in the 64xx and 69xx numbering. The numbering was random. Heritage of the slugs were mostly typical CSXT predecessors C&O B&O L&N and such but there were some oddballs mixed in, GM&O and ICG come to mind, among others. The first batch were outshopped in the late 80s when csx scheme 4 (“stealth”) was the standard livery, hence these Scalemodel examples with their lower road numbers from this first series. Higher numbered units were outshopped when bright future (scheme 6) was standard.

If you want to cross reference slug and mother assignments, there are several books you can reference, or a site like rrpicturearchives.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Re: CSX GP30 Slug Information

Unread post by amessmann »

Thank you very much! I'd definitely want them to be paired with their prototypical mother units so I'll be checking the resources you mentioned shortly.