Motown Models GTW GP9R December update

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Motown Models GTW GP9R December update

Unread post by GTW Dude »

So recently, up and coming locomotive manufacturer Motown Models just released their December Update for their GTW GP9R and needless to say i was pretty hyped the preproduction model with its features and detail looks pretty darn good IMO. but honestly, for 750$ for DCC and Sound though i don't know that's the highest price i have ever seen for a plastic model period. do any of you plan on getting one?

https://www.motownmodels.com/gp9r/december-update

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Motown Models GTW GP9R December update

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It's a very small run and remember, this guy is building and painting these himself. This isn't like ordering a regular model.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:46 pm
It's a very small run and remember, this guy is building and painting these himself. This isn't like ordering a regular model.
i'm well aware of that. I've been following the announcement since almost day 1 and absolutely love the concept of creating the first HO scale GTW GP9R and understand that whoever the person is behind the models does not have access to machinery and parts like the big guys and I guess it just kinda blows me away at the 750$ mark. Honestly now that i've had a few hours to think about it and given all the extra work like sanding pipes being added and variations between roadnumbers and given he's also letting you choose between any road number ever produced It doesn't seem so terrible although still a little pricey for a small geep. I do have a massive respect though that they are being produced in the same region they were mostly found in good ol' Detroit MI.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wow, that is a good looking model!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

It's a trophy model.
I have my large scale track all around the living room for Christmas.
I was recently able to acquire my trophy model for it, the LGB/Aster 20831 D&RGW K-28.
I wanted it so badly when it came out but couldn't afford it.
Of course due to additional width and length I can't use it with the current setup.

The moral of the story, if you see a trophy model and it's something you want and can afford, get it when you see it.
Because sometimes you will only ever see it again in pictures.
If economics prevents you from making the purchase, you are in lots of good company.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I appreciate your opinion, DaveO.
DaveO wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:09 pm
It's a trophy model.
I have my large scale track all around the living room for Christmas.
I was recently able to acquire my trophy model for it, the LGB/Aster 20831 D&RGW K-28.
I wanted it so badly when it came out but couldn't afford it.
Of course due to additional width and length I can't use it with the current setup.

The moral of the story, if you see a trophy model and it's something you want and can afford, get it when you see it.
If economics prevents you from making the purchase, you are in lots of good company.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Lots of us gripe about our stuff not being made in America, so here is an example of what we’d be paying to have our models built here in the good-ole USA vs. the ChiComs.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

dmitzel wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:20 am
Lots of us gripe about our stuff not being made in America, so here is an example of what we’d be paying to have our models built here in the good-ole USA vs. the ChiComs.
If it lasts and works like the quality of Sears/old craftsman tools I’ll take it any day over China.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I am really tempted to buy one. I know it is over priced but I am not aware of a GTW GP9R even remotely as exacting and as well constructed. A friend of mine works in a hobby shop and says it truly looks and runs as good as advertised. It will be the last engine I buy for the current layout I am working on (Richmond, Romeo and Rochester). Anyone know if Athearn, Atlas, etc. are coming out with a GTW GP9R that closely resembles the prototype for half of what Motown is asking?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

DaveO wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:09 pm
Exactly why I bought one of the MTH Railking custom run units of the GTW RS-1 #1951 Berwyn's Toys and Trains did back in 2021. I own 1 of 36 :D
Now I just have to get a photo with it and the real thing at IRM...

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

AARR wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:14 pm
I am really tempted to buy one. I know it is over priced but I am not aware of a GTW GP9R even remotely as exacting and as well constructed. A friend of mine works in a hobby shop and says it truly looks and runs as good as advertised. It will be the last engine I buy for the current layout I am working on (Richmond, Romeo and Rochester). Anyone know if Athearn, Atlas, etc. are coming out with a GTW GP9R that closely resembles the prototype for half of what Motown is asking?
So did you end up pulling the trigger? I am still sitting on the fence, I get the updates and they look amazing but I would be so scared to run it. $650 is a lot for a shelf queen for my budget but at the same time I'd really like to support the guy and what he's trying to do.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I haven't heard back from them. I have been so busy I forgot about it so thanks for the reminder. I am definitely going to buy one.
Struggen wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:48 am
AARR wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:14 pm
So did you end up pulling the trigger? I am still sitting on the fence, I get the updates and they look amazing but I would be so scared to run it. $650 is a lot for a shelf queen for my budget but at the same time I'd really like to support the guy and what he's trying to do.