Matching Proto 2000 Locomotive Speeds

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Matching Proto 2000 Locomotive Speeds

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Hello all. I am new to HO scale model railroading and I am not yet ready to invest in a DCC system for my layout. I do have a Proto 2000 SD7 locomotive and a Bachmann F9 locomotive that I switch between using. The Bachmann locomotive is significantly faster than my Proto 2000 and I understand that is due to the Proto 2000 being more of an actual prototypical speed than the Bachmann's "Tyco Speed." I am also interested in getting more locomotives (that are DCC ready) but using them only on DC as of right now. I am wondering what other brands and models of locomotives would match the speed of the Proto 2000 and not the "Tyco Speed" of the Backmann? Any help would be appreciated!

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Re: Matching Proto 2000 Locomotive Speeds

Unread post by Micah_D »

rail_watcher wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Hello all. I am new to HO scale model railroading and I am not yet ready to invest in a DCC system for my layout. I do have a Proto 2000 SD7 locomotive and a Bachmann F9 locomotive that I switch between using. The Bachmann locomotive is significantly faster than my Proto 2000 and I understand that is due to the Proto 2000 being more of an actual prototypical speed than the Bachmann's "Tyco Speed." I am also interested in getting more locomotives (that are DCC ready) but using them only on DC as of right now. I am wondering what other brands and models of locomotives would match the speed of the Proto 2000 and not the "Tyco Speed" of the Backmann? Any help would be appreciated!
I have a Bachmann RS-3 and when it’s run on DC power it tends to have a nice slow increase and decrease in speed. If you want to have slow increase or decrease in speed I personally recommend acquiring a DCC system. I have the NCE Power cab and I can set momentum with all my DCC locomotives and get the result that you are looking for.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

I should clarify, I’m talking about the speed of the locomotive at a set power setting. For example, if I have my speed control set at 50, out of 100, the Bachmann locomotive is running quite a bit faster than the Proto 2000 locomotive. Obviously they’re both receiving the same power, so they must be geared differently? Are there any other HO scale locomotive manufacturers that may be geared similar to the Proto 2000, to closer match speeds?

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Engines made by different manufactures run different speeds. Even the same company can vary between runs.
They can be geared differently. construction of the motor its self can vary ( magnetic field in the winding is weak/strong,Rotor Winding's are different)
list go's on and on. If it helps any some pre-DCC people used to use resistors wired in series with the motor to speed match locomotives.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. Sounds like I really just need to invest in DCC to accomplish what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Tyco speed :lol:
Just don't go buying engine after engine while saying you can't afford DCC.
Because you will end up with too many engines and can't afford DCC. And will never convert any of them.
Not that I would know about that.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 am
Tyco speed :lol:
Just don't go buying engine after engine while saying you can't afford DCC.
Because you will end up with too many engines and can't afford DCC. And will never convert any of them.
Not that I would know about that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: