LGB momentary controller question

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

LGB momentary controller question

Unread post by DaveO »

I've got a question regarding my temporary on the floor LGB Christmas layout that got out of hand years ago :D

I'm using LGB 51755 momentary control boxes for the switches.
They use AC input (24V max). They have a diode(s)s that sends out 1/2 wave AC to the DC switch motor. That's correct 1/2 wave AC to control the DC motor.
Which way the points move being dependent on which 1/2 of the AC wave the diode(s) in the controller sends.

What I want to do is by pushing the switch is to align up to 4 switch motors in the desired route. I've tested and it will power 4 LGB 12010 EPL switch motors.
I have up to 6 routes to consider. They all are combinations of the switch machines.

In essence what I would be doing is back feeding to one or more of the control box switches.
So the question is, would this damage the diode(s).

Wiring I know about, diodes I don't.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Re: LGB momentary controller question

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Rectifier diodes will only conduct electrical current in one direction. This characteristic allows diodes to convert AC electrical energy into DC electrical energy. However, it can also prevent DC current from reversing direction. Since they only conduct electrical current in one direction, Back feeding the diodes could result in damage to the diodes.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Thank you for that.
I didn't want to do that experiment with the LGB momentary control boxes.
They're not cheap.
Which is true of almost everything LGB wise.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

You're welcome & yes an expensive experiment (arnt they all 8) ) ...upon reading my first reply, I did not intend to be condescending with my answer :oops:
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

When doing my initial research I limited myself to just LGB when it applies to all sizes of model railroading.
That limited the information greatly.
Looking into rectifier diodes and other tangents this morning, I see other potential issues of the not good type.
I also saw that what I want to do is safely possible with diodes if properly designed and built.
But that is beyond what I'm looking to get into for now since it's a temporary layout.
So I appreciate being told it's a bad idea for me.