No Engineer Required

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

No Engineer Required

Unread post by Steamlogger »

With the nice weather today in West Michigan I ran my steam engine.
https://youtu.be/XYb3jE5kxsU

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: No Engineer Required

Unread post by AARR »

Very cool! Planning on adding track?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Yes I am planning on adding more track. This loop was put in due to COVID19 and as a proof of concept.
I need more hardware for the joint bars. I also need to get some ballast as right now it is laid right on the grass with sand as fill as needed. The nearby elementary school is named Sandy Hill. I have plenty of sand just dig a couple inches down.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Very nice!

And you didn't hold off on installing a switch, either-- I've known a couple of live steamers who had no problem doing all of the fiddly work to build steam locomotives, but ran out of enthusiasm when it came time to cut in the first switch. Track work just wasn't interesting enough to them, I guess.
-Fritz Milhaupt

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

I was fortunate enough to have gotten two complete switches with the rail and ties. The second switch is at the far end of the loop so they are approximately 90° from each other in the circle. I was talking with my brother and he suggested using it as a passing track. The first train takes the long way around and waits for the second clear of the main. :shock:

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Creativity from clever people during this pandemic is encouraging... and predictable.
(Folks using Radio Flyer wagons to pull their golf clubs around a golf course for example.)

Steamlogger; you have posted a fun video and for what it's worth, ballast is indeed available in Michigan.

The Newaygo Division of the DT&I Railroad received a 10 yard load of stone today.

From a civic duty [safe distance of several feet], I shouted out to the dump truck driver asking him how he felt about his federal tax dollars going toward a pile of stone.
He was elated to have a job and was very happy to make the delivery.

John ; )
Attachments
Miniature Railroad Ballast delivery
Miniature Railroad Ballast delivery

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

For my G gauge RR I would go to the nearby Gravel Pit and fill a few buckets for $2.00 My trailer has a 3500lb axle but I am not sure about hauling 2000lb with it.

Atkinson_Railroad what gauge RR are you building? Have you been to White Creek in Ceder Springs?

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

The track I have is spaced at 12-15/16". The gauge was established by my grandfather who began building his equipment in 1946.

Yes, very familiar with Russ Eldred's railroad layout. During the 1990's, I would frequent the track often but have not returned for a visit in quite some time.
Ironically, I'm now a short 40-minutes or so away from his railroad.

Fritz Milhaupt makes an interesting observation. It's true that highly skilled talented people have fashioned immaculate running locomotives... taking several years to construct.
When it comes to track work, it is more convenient to haul their equipment around the country for operating enjoyment on existing tracks.

The story I love is of the competent gentleman who spent thousands of hours building an engine in his basement only to discover he had to rip out a wall section from his home to get his pride-and-joy out into daylight.

Keep going with your track Steamlogger. You've got a great start!

John