DCC Information

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

DCC Information

Unread post by AARR »

Hi guys, Any recommendations on a book or website about "DCC for Dummies"? Yes, I'm Googling it but suggestions are appreciated. Also, offers to help will be considered.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: DCC Information

Unread post by SD80MAC »

What are you looking to know?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm not sure what questions to ask :oops: . I found a website about DCC for beginners. Maybe I'll have some questions afterwards.
SD80MAC wrote:What are you looking to know?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Kalmback used to print a DCC for beginners book. Not sure if hobby shops still carry this or not.

https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/book/12448
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

trnwatcher wrote:Not sure if hobby shops still carry this or not.
Doesn't matter, they're all closed! :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you Saturn. I'll check it out.

Here's a website I found on Google that seems to be helpful too.
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

The NMRA has a "bare bones" web page about DCC at https://www.nmra.org/beginners-guide-co ... ol-and-dcc.

The Wikipedia page has some basic info, even with diagrams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Command_Control.

Spruce Crafts has some info at https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/digital ... cc-2381867.

Model Railroader magazine has some resources about DCC at https://mrr.trains.com/how-to/dcc-elect ... -resources.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Garry K

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Based on your suggestions I have narrowed it down to Digitrax and NCE.

My layout is a 6x10 single level with five engines of which three or four will be operating most of the time (two in tandem and the other two in push-pull).

All feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

I am scheduled to install it on Friday, September 23rd, so if a huge explosion occurs in the Washington area that day it is probably me :) .

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I have the NCE system on my home layout and would recommend it. It was my first experience with DCC and it was so simple and easy to set up and operate.
Since I bought the original starter system I upgraded to wireless throttles (I still use the original starter system in conjunction with the wireless throttles) and have no trouble running 5 to 6 locomotives at once.
I used to be member of a modular railroad club and they used Digitrax and I’ve never cared much for it.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

I have a Digitrax EVOX Evolution Advanced 5/8 amp on my layout.
10x20 with extensive yard.
Easy to install/setup. menus can be a bit fussy (have a cheat sheet) 8) , plenty of power.
I have no complaints so far.

https://yankeedabbler.com/digitrax-evox ... -245-evox/
Great customer service @ yankee dabbler
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:04 pm
Based on your suggestions I have narrowed it down to Digitrax and NCE.

My layout is a 6x10 single level with five engines of which three or four will be operating most of the time (two in tandem and the other two in push-pull).

All feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

I am scheduled to install it on Friday, September 23rd, so if a huge explosion occurs in the Washington area that day it is probably me :) .
I purchased an NCE system for my 4*8 table and it's been good. Easy, user friendly and I'm working on teaching my 8YO son to use it.d

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Just saw this thread, I went from MRC to NCE a year ago and I will say NCE is way better, it's very user-friendly and is very easy to set up. I use the power cab :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for your feedback, gentlemen. I chose NCE and will install it tomorrow with the assistance of John Kearny.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

AARR wrote:
I didn't hear any mutual-aid calls go out for Washington today or see a giant fireball in the distance, so it's either going really well or very poorly. Have you ever seen these Proto Throttles before? Bit pricey, but they look a lot more fun to use than a rotary knob.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the suggestion

Installation went well although I plugged it into the wrong connector and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting power :oops:
. I am more excited than I thought I would be to have an engine with sound and working lights 8) .
Struggen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:14 pm
AARR wrote:
I didn't hear any mutual-aid calls go out for Washington today or see a giant fireball in the distance, so it's either going really well or very poorly. Have you ever seen these Proto Throttles before? Bit pricey, but they look a lot more fun to use than a rotary knob.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:17 am
Thank you for your feedback, gentlemen. I chose NCE and will install it tomorrow with the assistance of John Kearny.
Great choice AARR

Now if you want to go wireless you need these two items. It’s simple to set up and operate you just plug the base station into the extra connection on your UTC panel and you’re good to go.(you can still use your original power cab throttle as well)

NCE 5240023 RB02, 916MHz Radio Base Station and a NCE 5240044 Radio cab 06pr Throttle.(The throttle comes with a cord in case your batteries go dead)
Attachments
E4DADCB5-2EE3-41C6-89CC-178F14829276.jpeg
1CB9E4D7-CDFE-4984-B12A-44A1B5BE1E06.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you. That is similar to what I installed. It came with the NCE set-up. So far with just one engine I haven't broken anything :) .
GR H & C wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 am
Great choice AARR

Now if you want to go wireless you need these two items. It’s simple to set up and operate you just plug the base station into the extra connection on your UTC panel and you’re good to go.(you can still use your original power cab throttle as well)

NCE 5240023 RB02, 916MHz Radio Base Station and a NCE 5240044 Radio cab 06pr Throttle.(The throttle comes with a cord in case your batteries go dead)

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

8)
We now come to the part of the show called "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Struggen wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:14 pm
AARR wrote:

Used these. Fun for about 20 minutes, then its just work. I prefer a regular DCC throttle.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/