What Railroad Do You Model.......

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

What Railroad Do You Model.......

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

I know what some of you model. I model current day BNSF in Montana. Proto/freelance. The Black Swamp Subdivision. The Black Swamp which used to be up into the Van Wert area in Ohio way back when. So my own subdivision. I model in HO scale. Trains are made up as proto as I can with containers, trailers, manifests with certain RR blocks of cars/ industries. I have lots of grainers going to/from the West Coast. I use the actual Montana town names of Havre, Shelby, Cut Bank, and Whitefish. How about you? TIA. PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Mon May 30, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: What Railroad Do You Model.......

Unread post by AARR »

AARR early 1950's from DiAnn to Ann Arbor with staging for points west (north) and east (south).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I model Conrail in 1992. O scale P48 specs. The proto-Freelance line will have a large papermill as the largest industry. Building the layout now.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/tr ... Secondary/

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/tr ... 205-30-11/
Patrick Welch

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Conrail in HO in the late 1990's. Fictional line between Detroit and Toledo called the Riverside Secondary.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I model N scale of the CSX Great Lakes Subdivision, it's a freelance theme of the CSX Plymouth and Grand Rapids Subdivisions and "mock" actual trains and operations. The time period (motive power-wise) is pretty much everything in the past 5-7 years that has been seen on the Plymouth Sub. Most of my freight traffic on my layout is for local industries and interchange traffic for other railroads. The only "through" traffic is Intermodal between Chicago and Detroit. Other freight includes grain, coal, general merchandise, and passenger (Amtrak).
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

I'm modeling the Central Michigan Railway around 2002 in HO, I'm just gearing up to start building the actual layout. I also do DRGW in N scale. Thats currently the 4x8 layout I had in my apartment I'm going to expand it a little bit but not a lot

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Well I was doing a 2000s era ficticious CSX themed layout before I moved into an apartment. The CSX "Grain Belt Subdivision" was basically a 5x8 ft layout with a large ADM grain elevator being the focal point of the layout. Now that Im in an apartment, Im building a 11x2 along the wall switching layout that Id like to incorperate into a ficticious CSX layout. But Im also into Ann Arbor in the Michigan Interstate era and have been designing a AA themed layout as well. Since I havent laid any track on my wall module, it may become a section for the Annie. Dont know what one will win but Id be happy if I could do both! :lol:
Nick

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

I model the Basement Central. They have a direct interchange with every railroad in the state of Michigan which allows for a wide variety of motive power to appear along with their freight cars from the 1950's to 1990. Unlike the rest of Michigan, every business served by the BC is booming.

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

C&O-D&M

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rdenman62 »

Wisconsin Central/Canadian National along with Escanaba and Lake Superior in the upper peninsula of Michigan

SimRacin14
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SimRacin14 »

Louisville & Nashville, on the Cumberland Valley Division. Not sure exactly what "year" I'm modeling, I have plenty of L&N power in gray/yellow paint, though.

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

The Belle River & Western runs west out of Marine City where it interchanges with the PH&D and
the C&O and Michigan International via carfloat across the St. Clair River. The time is fall of 1976.
I've been trying to gather info on the line for years but it almost seems like info changes on me. :-P
I know there is a pocket terminal in the city of Detroit at the end of a branch and that it crosses
the GTW around Chesterfield and again somewhere around Bloomfield. I'm a little sketchy about
where the line ends but I believe the west end is a connection with the former EL. There is some
auto and merchandise traffic and seasonal grain trains along with coal deliveries to at least two
online plants I know of. The road dieselized with F units and NW2s, later adding GP9s, GP28s and
SW1500s. Not sure if they are trackage rights or lease power but there's a lot of Penn Central and
early Conrail power on the line.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I model the PRR in HO in the early 1950s. This stems from inheriting my grandfather's impressive collection of HO PRR equipment after my grandmother moved out of their house in Elkhart. His layout was spectacular - with a double-track mainline, two yards, two loops, a partially operational signal system (no DCC here, this was all 70s and 80s technology!) and plenty of plaster and painted scenery. I wish I had inherited his artistic skills. It's all been disassembled now. :(

My own layout is a simple double-oval on a 12 x 8 piece of plywood, with a bisecting yard running the long way down the middle and a bisecting branchline with interlockings crossing the short way. Not nearly enough room. And in Michigan. While I'm in Connecticut. I've added to his PRR collection greatly over the past 10 years.

In addition to the PRR, I also have some Conrail and Amtrak locomotives and rolling stock which allow me to move my PRR line ahead about 45 years to the mid-late 1990s for a little variety. The local hobby shop out here carries a lot of New Haven equipment (no surprise there).....which I may need to get in on......

DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTI973 »

D T & I circa 1980ish...in 1/29 scale

Brian B.
Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

CSXT's Saginaw & Toledo Terminal Sub's, from around 2005 to present.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I model the ATSF from Late Steam into modern diesel era ending with the FP45's. Working on designing a layout and beginning to collect a few locomotives that include a FP45, FM Erie Built, 2-8-0 as well as a few freight cars.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I have mainly CSX in the Midwest. I know, blah. But, I like the region. My layout is multi-era, due to the fact I am also planning on running modern KCS locomotives as well. My CSX will be more around 90's. So I can run different road names associated with the merger.

Industries served will be grain, flour, bakery and ethanol. I have an interchange w/yard for other goods to show up on the line as well. Which will also allow me to run foreign power to may main layout during operation sessions.

The layout itself is in HO scale and is room size. But the room is the size of my apartment with no walls. Current status in construction, I have almost all of my track laid and operational. I am using MRC DCC wireless.

If anyone is in the area or would like to stop by, feel free to drop me a PM.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

I model the IMC line from Fall Creek (Indianapolis) to Fishers at the train station there. I model as if Winamac Southern (WSRY) had obtained trackage rights over the HHPA to run grain out of Kokomo Grain in Kokomo to the CSX in Indianapolis. 85% of traffic on my layout is unit grain trains being run south (loaded) and north (empty). However, the reactivating of the line attracted 2 new shippers (one had shipped in years prior). These 2 customers are 84 Lumber at 96th Street and Indianapolis Water at Fall Creek Parkway. A 3 day a week local (operated by WSRY) runs from the small (SMALL) yard in Tipton to 34th Street siding, where they do a run around, then return north.
Since prototypical grain trains that run out of Kokomo Grain to Marion use NS power, that is what I use for grain train power. The grain trains usually host a pair (sometimes trio) of widecabs, however some old NS power and leasers can make their way into the mix. On rare occasions, CSX power totes northbound empties from Hawthorne Yard to Kokomo, then returns as light power. The local hosts more of the US Rail/RailAmerican power. The power on the local is usually a TPW GP40-2LW, but a CERA or ISRR geep makes it on from time to time.
When hosting a mini-operating session, there are usually 2 operators and a dispatcher. In order to make movements, you have to obtain a track warrant from the dispatcher. One operator tackles the local, while the other runs the grain train, whether it be loaded or empty. We will sometimes have 3 operators if there is a loaded and empty grain train to be run. Running multiple trains only adds to the operating interest, as you have to coordinate meets, which usually occur at Fishers siding.
Last edited by CSXIndyLine on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

C&NW, BN (some BNSF), SOO-MILW and WC... locations roughly west from Minneapolis, proto-freelance along the former MILW and M&StL westward towards the Dakota border. The 1:87 scale Burlington and North Western Railroad Co. operates on analog DC, track warrants and ABS as it bridges freight between it's primary Class 1 owners, and hosts Amtrak's 17-18 Aberdeen SD sections of the Empire Builder.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I model a ficticous ex-B&O (double tracked mainline) now a CSX subdivision loosely based on CSX's Mountain-sub in N-Scale. Time frame is early 90's to the present. This allows me to run ex-SBD,CS,CRR units up to SD70Ace's/70Mac's, Dash-8/9's, even some older B&O and L&N units that hadn't hit the paint shops in Huntingdon yet. Small yard serving several local industries. Yard also serves as a collection point for coal drags being made into larger unit trains from the smaller area tipples. Some internodal traffic and the occassional Amtrak reroute. Set in Northern West Virginia.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts