Unusual Woodchip Hopper Numbers

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Nickgio
Railroadfan...fan

Unusual Woodchip Hopper Numbers

Unread post by Nickgio »

Hi all

I hope this is the right place to post this.
I've moved to the Oreogn Coast about a year ago and frequently check out the Georgia-Pacific Pulp Mill in Toledo, OR. There are always hi-cube boxcars and old woodchip hoppers servicing the mill.
Recently I started seeing woodchip hoppers with the letter "R" and the word AGE after the hopper's number. I was wondering if anyone knew what this meant. I use rrarchives.net and can't find photos of these before I started adding a few.
Here is one of the cars in question. Sorry it came out a bit blurry

Thanks for any help
Nick
I mainly focus on Coastal Oregon Railroading
https://youtube.com/@NicksOregonRailroa ... gYrN7tUfSr

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Unusual Woodchip Hopper Numbers

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Georgia-Pacific Corporation (Western Division) ex-Southern Pacific woodchuck hopper

These are aged out cars that receive a waiver, either R1 or R2, to stay in service.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The FRA accepts applications on restricted service for cars over 50 years old. Based on the car type and service, they will issue waivers with specific requirements to the car owner to continue to use them. One of the standard requirements is the “R”, usually accompanied with “-age”.

Typically they are by waiver restricted from interchange, have frequent reinspections, and sometimes lading or handling requirements.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Nickgio
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Nickgio »

Thanks for the quick reply guys! That is super interesting, it makes sense as these hoppers basically only go to the mill and back to Albany, OR. I'll make a note of the "R" whenever I upload more photos to rrarchives.net. Here's a better photo that I got today, I'm assuming the 07/23 was the month of inspection, or when it was given the new classification

Thanks again!

I mainly focus on Coastal Oregon Railroading
https://youtube.com/@NicksOregonRailroa ... gYrN7tUfSr

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

That date stenciled is the last date it was inspected per the waiver, which is typically required every two years.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow