C&O Bridge in Port Huron Demolish

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

C&O Bridge in Port Huron Demolish

Unread post by Manistique »

It looks like they are taking down this old bridge now. It used to access the C&O's/PM's thumb trackage out of Port Huron but has been out of service as long as I have been railfanning starting in the mid-1970's. It has been a landmark since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IxY0ngflzM

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: C&O Bridge in Port Huron Demolish

Unread post by Man o' War »

Deemed a "navigation hazard" which warrants demolition. Hasn't been a hazard for the nearly 50 years it's been upright, but it is now I guess to to progress of deterioration. My guess is, like many things railroad, it would have stood there another 50 years without bothering anyone. At any rate, a skyline landmark will vanish forever.

Man o' War

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: C&O Bridge in Port Huron Demolish

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The Army Corps was happy to let it sit. It had zero impact on navigability of the Black River. This is 100% being driven by the PH Yacht Club who bought the property the bridge sits on years ago without apparently realizing they couldn’t just demo the bridge without having to ask anyone. This project has been in the works for years. There was lots of tug of war about it, as, has been noted, for many people it’s a beloved local landmark.

The bridge and its unique Abt-patent construction were carefully documented and this documentation will be preserved in the collection of the Archives of Michigan and at the Port Huron Museum.

Also, on one of the first days of demolition, the demo contractor set the bridge on fire and had to call the PHFD. Gee, flammable stuff burns! Duh!

https://www.thetimesherald.com/story/ne ... 033858007/