Sand Patch Grade questions

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Sand Patch Grade questions

Unread post by David Collins »

I'm making a trip to Sand Patch Grade in early may, I plan to hit locations such as Cumberland, Hyndman, Mance, Ellerslie, Rockwood and more. Is there anything I should know about the line and are there more shots I should go to that I listed?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Sand Patch Grade questions

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hmm. I’ve never railfanned Sand Patch, but I have ridden over it a couple times on the Capitol Limited, and I’ve been to Cumberland. The mainline is winding and there are some great tiny towns along the way. You probably know that Cumberland has one of CSX’s largest shops and they do a lot of locomotive work there. I recall, from way way back in the day, there were usually some interesting dead line units parked out at one edge you could see pretty well. I’ve heard a part of the yard tracks in the middle are presently out of service.

I can’t offer any advice on mainline locations (unless you’re going as far east as Harper’s Ferry), other than probably Google it and see what photo angles strike your family and plan your route that way. I’ve seen some great photos from the bridge at Mexico (far east end of the yard off highway 51), but I’ve never been there myself. Good luck and be sure to post what you see!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Turns out, I lied. I've been to one other spot on the old B&O, and I wasn't riding train 30 while doing so. Back in the day, I put in a quick stop at Hancock, WV which is right on the MD border along the Potomac River right near US-522. If you turn east on River Road, you'll run right along the mainline. There's a small yard here where at least one local is based, and an old brick station which you can't get close to but could make a nice photo prop. HO Tower was once here, one of the last manned interlocking towers with lever pipe. You can learn more about the history of HO here: http://position-light.blogspot.com/2011 ... tower.html

There's also a branch line that splits off here and takes a round about route away from the river to a US Silica processing facility. I didn't spend too long here but it seemed like a good spot. Here's a photo out the window of the car from the US-522 bridge of HO and the interlocking plant in 2004. The tower is gone and the signal bridges have been replaced but it still looks like a decent place: https://goo.gl/maps/xj1PyW1GrDhmXKkP8
130_3072.JPG

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

Never had any problems driving right up to the B&O depot in Hancock. Good place to sit and watch the action. If you go there, the Hancock Motel across the bridge on the Maryland side is a highly recommended place to stay. Across from the motel is the Potomac Grill (formerly the Bridge Restaurant) - also highly recommended. Both less than two minutes from the B&0 in West Virginia. Of course, immediately west of the Hancock yard begins (or ends) the Magnolia Cutoff. If you do your homework, you can still get deep into that territory uncovering many of the legendary locations. Worth a few days in Hancock just for that.

Man o' War

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Depending on how long you are staying, bring a bicycle if you can.

The GAP (Great Alleghany Passage) which is a rail trail from Pittsburgh to Cumberland mostly along the old Western Maryland and I think the P&LE (alphabet route) is right there and is one of the best in the country. The entire route is gorgeous, but is particularly nice between Connellsville and Cumberland. From Cumberland west (and upgrade) to Frostburg the trail shares most of it's right of way with the Western Maryland Scenic, which just returned Mallet # 1309 to service within the last couple years. A bicycle makes a great way to railfan the WMSR and to see the bridges near Myersdale. From just north of Myersdale to Connellsville the GAP is mostly on one side of the river and CSX on the other- close enough to hear CSX, and occasionally see them from spots. Directly north of Myersdale is the Salisbury Viaduct which makes for a great view of the entire valley (and CSX) and there's another bridge I think south of there. South/East of Myersdale the Trail (ex WM) splits from the B&O right about at Sand Patch itself (Miller road) From Cumberland east, you can bike all the way to DC along the C&O canal trail if you are froggy, though the C&O canal can get rough in spots from what I've heard (I hopped on the Capitol Limited at Cumberland due to time instead of biking to DC as I had previously planned)

For lodging in the area- the Fairfield in Cumberland is right downtown/walking distance of the WMSR and CSX, and right along the C&O canal trail which also runs by the Yard. This is a nicer Fairfield - the team at the front desk is one of the better ones you'll find- lots of good local info.

Another spot for Lodging is the Hostel on Main if you're looking for a cheaper place - it's a hostel (shared bedroom) and it mostly caters to bicyclists on the GAP, but CSX is right behind it and they have a nice upstairs porch facing the tracks.

If you're in the area and wanting to scratch the model train itch- I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Mainline Hobby, located about an 90 ish minutes east/northeast of Cumberland in Blue Ridge Summit Pa (just south of Gettysburg which is worth a visit of it's own). One of the most complete Hobby shops you'll find - not as big as others, but one of the few that has a great selection of items like scenery, detail parts, and track in addition to a huge selection of rolling stock in HO, N, and a decent amount in O.

Another mention too of Harpers Ferry if you're in the area - great combination of history and easy access to CSX.

Something else to keep in mind- between Connellsville and Cumberland if you're looking for food into the evening I was surprised how early everything closed in the smaller towns. You might have to drive to get to a sheetz if it gets even around 8 or 9pm.
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!