KLWX (former NS) 8520 spotted at NS’ Roanoke shops

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

KLWX (former NS) 8520 spotted at NS’ Roanoke shops

Unread post by David Collins »

For those who don’t know what I’m talking about by NS/KLWX 8520, here’s a little history:

8520 was the sole AC44C6CF that has ever been made, the C6F is basically an AC44C6M rebuild but without a new cab and also was rebuilt by CAF industries. The point of the AC44C6CF rebuild program would allow NS to rebuild their older Dash 9 widecab locomotives without needed to decapitate them (removing the cab) and just adding new technology which would therefore save some money.

Unfortunately the engine was TERRIBLY flawed, technology didn’t work, had lots of wheel slip issues, basically any issue you could think of a modern locomotive having, 8520 had it. It never entered revenue service and was sold to Knoxville Locomotive Works in mid 2020.

Now to what I wanna know:

A buddy of mine driving up to Pennsylvania from Charlotte stopped in Roanoke and saw KLWX (Ex NS) 8520 sitting by the shops there, last time anyone saw it actually moving was when it was trailing into Roanoke on a manifest.

8520 is off the NS roster and according to sources there’s an ownership dispute going on between Knoxville Locomotive Works (KLWX) and a private company for unknown reasons, does anyone know any of these 3 things:

What’s the status of this “ownership dispute” if anyone knows?

Could NS be the “private company” being mentioned, considering the fact that it’s currently on their property?

Could NS possibly be buying back this unit? considering it’s gone back for rework and tested on the Yadkin Valley Railroad?

Here’s a picture of the unit if anyone hasn’t seen it, it still has this paint job but the logo and the horse on the front and rear is no longer on the engine, I actually like this paint job more than the other rebuilds to be honest:
Attachments
E5DD0BA3-F8DF-4E0A-B430-42E792D9D262.jpeg
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Re: KLWX (former NS) 8520 spotted at NS’ Roanoke shops

Unread post by GTWChris »

8520 has been leased to CN for testing.

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:31 pm
Could NS be the “private company” being mentioned, considering the fact that it’s currently on their property?
I would SERIOUSLY doubt it
Ironically bad at Small Talk :(

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

New development: 8520 is set to Roanoke in a few days time for Chicago, if all goes to plan it will leave on NS 127 to Chattanooga, Then 170 to Conway, PA, and then 13Q to Elkhart, IN, Then 19K to Decatur, pretty complicated it seems like.

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hExZ5Va8tQ

8520 was just spotted on a CN lite power move, L556 in Illinois