Plymouth Sub between GR and Lansing

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Plymouth Sub between GR and Lansing

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was wondering if someone could explain the current situation with the locals between GR and Lansing. According to the wiki, there is both the usual D707 turn (Sunday thru Thursday) and a "new" (to me) D702 turn (Daily) between Holland and Lansing. Do one or both of these trains run regularly during daylight hours? Also, do D705 and D706 generally show up reliably at a certain time of day? I've been trying to remember to pay attention to the heads up threads to learn the operations, but I thought it might be faster and easier if I could possibly get a straight answer from someone more knowledgeable. If I get the time, I'd like to make a trip out to that portion of the line this spring just for something different then the usual Durand/Holly rail fanning near my house. Maybe try to get one traversing the dip in Lake Odessa.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Plymouth Sub between GR and Lansing

Unread post by Saturnalia »

D702 is only Holland to Grand Rapids.

D705/706 are starting to settle into a daily routine, I would check the Train Location Updates Threads to get a feel for it.

D707 still operates west of Lansing as far as GR and D708 operates eastwards as far as South Lyon. Again the TLUs will give you up-to-date info and allow you to start figuring out their routines more closely. D707 is almost completely nocturnal, however.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:38 am

D705/706 are starting to settle into a daily routine, I would check the Train Location Updates Threads to get a feel for it.

D707 still operates west of Lansing as far as GR and D708 operates eastwards as far as South Lyon. Again the TLUs will give you up-to-date info and allow you to start figuring out their routines more closely. D707 is almost completely nocturnal, however.

Thank you! Too bad about D707 being nocturnal, but hopefully I can get the other two like I did last weekend on the east end. I will be trying to keep an eye on the update threads. I'm a little confused about D705 and D706, since it seems like I've been seeing reports from both early morning hours and the afternoon (such as last weekend when I caught both). Hopefully they'll be making afternoon runs again whenever I make it out there.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:52 am
Saturnalia wrote:

Thank you! Too bad about D707 being nocturnal, but hopefully I can get the other two like I did last weekend on the east end. I will be trying to keep an eye on the update threads. I'm a little confused about D705 and D706, since it seems like I've been seeing reports from both early morning hours and the afternoon (such as last weekend when I caught both). Hopefully they'll be making afternoon runs again whenever I make it out there.
It's all about crew rest as to when they end up running. They're GR-based crews and are set to rotate so a recrew or two can throw a wrench in it pretty quickly.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm
atrainguy60 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:52 am
Saturnalia wrote:

It's all about crew rest as to when they end up running. They're GR-based crews and are set to rotate so a recrew or two can throw a wrench in it pretty quickly.
Ahh ok, that makes sense.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

D707 does not run to Grand Rapids anymore and hasn't for some time. The farthest west they go is Lake Odessa.

As for additional trains, Monday through Friday you will find Y106 heading east from GR as far as Elmdale, then working their way west stopping at various industries along the way. Grain trains for Webberville and Grand Ledge run at random times on random days. I don't think there's been one in a few weeks now.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm
D707 does not run to Grand Rapids anymore and hasn't for some time. The farthest west they go is Lake Odessa.
Good to know...I hadn't heard of a GR turn in awhile now and that makes sense now that 705/706 are handling the pickup/setouts at Lansing.