2 unknown types of rail vehicles

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

2 unknown types of rail vehicles

Unread post by Kwantumnaut »

The train on the adjacent track had been stopped there for a good hour or so after the engines had been operating and switching tracks a couple times down the ways, and then a little later these 2 types of rail vehicles I've never seen before went by.

It was at night and my camera quality isn't the greatest, but if you can still identify them I'm just wondering if anybody might know what they were and what they were for. Thanks!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: 2 unknown types of rail vehicles

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They both look like tampers.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 pm
They both look like tampers.
Thank you for replying! What is their purpose and what are tampers used for?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The first is a ballast regulator. This shapes the ballast to the correct profile.

The second is a ballast tamper. It's hard to see but this machine has a laser level which is folded up for travel. This is used to eliminate dips in the track surface.

More in-depth information can be obtained by searching for ballast regulator and ballast tamper.
Or maybe someone will come along and add it 8)

Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 pm
The first is a ballast regulator. This shapes the ballast to the correct profile.

The second is a ballast tamper. It's hard to see but this machine has a laser level which is folded up for travel. This is used to eliminate dips in the track surface.

More in-depth information can be obtained by searching for ballast regulator and ballast tamper.
Or maybe someone will come along and add it 8)
Thank you as-well for a great reply! I was able to look up a few pages and find out some interesting info after having found out what they are called.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

These two pieces of equipment always work together. If you see one , the other is usually near by. The ballast regulator ( also known as a "Broom" ) places the ballast / stone for the tamper to force under the ties and profiles the track afterwards . The Tamper raises and straightens / curves the track. Now loaded with super computers these day, they can almost run themselves.