Different take on Streaming scanner

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Re: Different take on Streaming scanner

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Well looks like last couple of days the control points at both ends of fox have been cut over to Sat. Probably were upgraded with PTC (cuz it's gonna save us all) at the same time. Right now we can still monitor both ends of elmdale and both ends of lake odessa.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Re: Different take on Streaming scanner

Unread post by amessmann »

I figure this is the best place to ask, does anyone have experience with SDRs? I have a HackRF and a couple generic RTL-SDR dongles but have had very limited success in picking up railroad radio. My Baofeng BF-F8HP (similar to a UV-5R) and my Bearcat BC125AT work significantly better than both the HackRF and RTL-SDRs. I should mention I've been able to pick up Michigan Radio/NPR on 91.7 Wide FM. (yes, I've switched to Narrow FM when trying to pick up the railroad)

I have been able to pick up things like defect detectors with the HackRF, however that was when I was about 50' from the detector site.

Otherwise, I've been meaning to review this entire thread for some time, from what I can see, some of you have very impressive setups, I'm inspired to get an antenna tower of my own, too bad the HOA won't let me put one up where I live currently.