G&W RR Power Assignments

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Re: G&W RR Power Assignments

Unread post by Old Hogger »

DR wrote:I just wish instead of a nice professional paint job theyd fix the mechincals in them first! Out locos keep coming up turds!! :roll:
Dane you need to send them to Pensacola. Everything I've seen come out of the Bay Line shops is top notch.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Old Hogger wrote:
DR wrote:I just wish instead of a nice professional paint job theyd fix the mechincals in them first! Out locos keep coming up turds!! :roll:
Dane you need to send them to Pensacola. Everything I've seen come out of the Bay Line shops is top notch.
Sorry, I meant Panama City, not Pensacola. Got Pensacola on my brain - headed down there soon

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

The word on the street over here in The Thumb has the HESR 3038 in the shop at Bad Axe for "heavy refurbishment"(cutting out and replacing rust/rebuilding cab interior etc..) and paint. The company that G&W hires for the refurbishment and paint is supposed to begin work tomorrow with sand blasting. Does anyone know how long this work will take? According to a friend who works for HESR, at lot of work was put into the 3038 to get it back into service, including traction motor replacement and a total overhaul of the brake system.

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

pbmaxno15, 3038 may be heading that way but wasn't there yet. 3038 was at Towerline rd. 8am yesterday morning with the 805 job. I then caught it on the 800 job leaving Genesee yard with one grain hopper at 6:45pm. Should be thumbin it tonight on the 805 again.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

I had to go to Bad Axe this morning and I made a pass by the yard and engine house. All I could see was one of the old CORP units parked next to the engine house pointed south attached to a string of SGVY beet hoppers. There were several tank cars and a few covered hoppers there also. My contact was quite sure that they were going to be working on 3038, and has been spot on with the information he has passed on to me over the years, but we shall see what happens.

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

3038 will look great in orange I'm sure and I for one am ready to for this to happen. With it riding the 805 job out to the thumb it would put it in the right place. I drove past Towerline rd. when I got out of work at 7:30 today to see what power came back and it didn't look to return last night in it's place was 2028 and some other gp38 body too dark to see for sure. Please keep us updated on what you see in and around Bad Axe area if you can that's an area I don't get to too often. Thanks

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Paul W wrote:3038 will look great in orange I'm sure and I for one am ready to for this to happen. With it riding the 805 job out to the thumb it would put it in the right place. I drove past Towerline rd. when I got out of work at 7:30 today to see what power came back and it didn't look to return last night in it's place was 2028 and some other gp38 body too dark to see for sure. Please keep us updated on what you see in and around Bad Axe area if you can that's an area I don't get to too often. Thanks

That was 2029 with the 2028 at Towerline Road. How long has there been a stop sign at the crossing?

2025 was at the engine house in Bad Axe yesterday.

Also, 1471 was idling in Deckerville with two sidings of beet hoppers.
~ Charles W.

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

MKT fan11, that stop sign has been there a little over a week it almost got me (meaning apposing traffic was BV officer) but was able to stop....Now it's justified to stop and view what powers on the 800/805 whoo hoo!

Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Josh »

The 3038 is now in G&W Orange

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Had an interesting conversation with the contractor taking care of the repaints in Muskegon the other day. Reconditioning Professionals LLC out of Ohio. They have quite the rig for refinishing all this equipment. They do sandblasting, water blasting, body work and the final paint. Completely mobile and they have two teams running coast to coast and border to border. He showed me some pictures of other locos from other railroads and some really nice looking passenger cars they have done. Sounds like they can turn most of these locos in less than two weeks if they don't need major body work.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Just saw MMRR 2018 (ex MS 73) yesterday in its fresh new colors. Makes the sw1200 look pretty sharp. The contractors painted EVERYTHING, Including the engine compartment, engine block, and inside the cab. She will look good rolling around Muskegon. :D

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

EWRice wrote:Just saw MMRR 2018 (ex MS 73) yesterday in its fresh new colors. Makes the sw1200 look pretty sharp. The contractors painted EVERYTHING, Including the engine compartment, engine block, and inside the cab. She will look good rolling around Muskegon. :D
Interesting they numbered it in the 2000-series and not the 1200-series.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Should be the MMRR 1216......

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Which is it? 2018 or 1216?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Now your making me question what I saw. I paid more attention to the broken number board siting on top of the garbage can than what was on the side. The new number boards were on the table still masked off so I didn't pay much attention to those. Maybe the number was wrong on the broken board and that is why it was in the trash. Oh well, we can all see it when she comes out of the engine house, which looks like is getting insulation for the first time since it was built. :D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I'm gonna take it, unless and until someone proves otherwise, as the MMRR 1216, since Mr. GLC has connections :wink:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Updated with the recent repaints/re-numberings.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

My apologies for incorrect info. GLC must have more connections than my brain had Wed. :oops: He is right. It's 1216. I will blame my misinformation on the fact that we were talking about many different locos that day. Yup, that's what I am going to blame it on. 8)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

EWRice wrote:My apologies for incorrect info. GLC must have more connections than my brain had Wed. :oops: He is right. It's 1216. I will blame my misinformation on the fact that we were talking about many different locos that day. Yup, that's what I am going to blame it on. 8)
So can I read the CFE 3885 becoming the MMRR 2018? :wink:

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

SD80MAC wrote:I thought I'd start a thread for this since a lot of power swaps have taken place since GWI acquired RA. I've been doing my best to keep tabs on the MI properties, any help and/or corrections are appreciated. Also need some help on what units have been patched and or renumbered. Feel free to post for other states as well.

As of 10/2013

Reporting marks, model, engine number, paint scheme:

Huron & Eastern (Bay City, MI):
SGVY SW1200 #998 (Railtex red) reportedly sold to The Andersons, not active

HESR GP38-2 #3865 (RA red/silver/blue) may have been renumbered but cannot confirm
HESR GP38-2 #3866 (RA red/silver/blue)
HESR GP38-2 #3867 (RA red/silver/blue) may have been renumbered but cannot confirm
HESR GP38-2 #3868 (RA red/silver/blue) may have been renumbered but cannot confirm
HESR GP38AC #8802 (CMGN black/white) may have been renumbered but cannot confirm

2014: The old Saginaw Valley switcher is gone; I didn't see it at Weona Yard, 6-20-2014! The HESR Rail America GP38-2 and #8802 locos have not been "Renumbered" yet!!! Also, last I heard, those RA locos are still in RA colors and name!

:twisted: :evil: "HO, HO, HO, Merry Halloween!!!!" :evil: :twisted:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/