G&W accquires RA

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

G&W accquires RA

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Genesee & YWyoming to buy RailAmerica for 1.4 Billion$

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

RailAmerica is now..... GW

Unread post by That Guy »

Yep. It's a done deal pending approval
Last edited by That Guy on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Re: RailAmerica is now..... GW

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Well good, this I think was the preferred option all along anyways. Guess I should make an effort to go out and shoot the rainbow schemes of RA before they become all orange :)
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

There goes the RA hertiage paint program down the drain :)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: G&W accquires RA

Unread post by railohio »

"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

So under GWI ownership, will the employees continue to beat the crap out of the motive power like they did under Failamerica? Have any reps or scouts from the GWI been out already to observe the Weedland Sub or the DT&I?
Exit stage left

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

jallenp7 wrote:There goes the RA hertiage paint program down the drain :)
Actually, seeing those orange locos on the DT&I between Washington Court House and Flat Rock will have railfans sort of reminiscing of the DTI orange of yesteryear.
Exit stage left

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Is it G&W's standard policy to have every loco in G&W Orange?

Also, isn't this just a % of shares sale, so G&W owns the controlling stake, but not outright?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoenix ... Id=4811567
The G&W corporate presentation - note that on slide 6 the "pro forma G&W" basically combines the existing G&W & RA figures. Between that and the $ value of the expected synergies (slide 3) makes it pretty clear to me that RA is to be purchased outright (that and Fortress wanting to get rid of RA complete). As for the "all orange" fleet, that's the target for a unified image - but they're not currently there, but they've made much more progress on that than RA ever did.

MQT3001 wrote:Is it G&W's standard policy to have every loco in G&W Orange?

Also, isn't this just a % of shares sale, so G&W owns the controlling stake, but not outright?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

redside20 wrote:So under GWI ownership, will the employees continue to beat the crap out of the motive power like they did under Failamerica? Have any reps or scouts from the GWI been out already to observe the Weedland Sub or the DT&I?
It wasn't necessarily the employees that beat the crap out of the units, but more-so deferred maintenance. But yes, some of those guys on the south end really beat the sh*t out of the power.
Bottom text.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Having worked for both outfits, I know for sure G&W takes a lot better care of their locos. They now have a lot more to get painted, will probably take years to get it done. And like RA, G&W doesn't hesitate to ship locos around as needed.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

They only do what the people above them tell them to do on beating the locos to death........ The PIR SW1500 that is basically near death and almost vibrates itself off the rail somehow dragged an empty 68 car rack train out of Queeensgate last week by itself. 4083 cooked a traction motor last week trying to drag 50 loaded autoracks out of Honda last week....

Supposedly GWI was out hi-railing the Midland a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had time to dig into the details of the deal, but GWI is paying a premium for RA, especially absorbing some of their long term debt......

But the positive is I say bring on the orange to the DT&I!!!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I'll try out the warning once, GWI isn't real big on railfans trespassing on their properties. They will have you arrested so be forewarned..... They are even less tolerant of employees on boards such as this sharing info.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

And breath...... ok every better now? From what i witnessed when Watco took over the BS, G&W buying RA is probably the best thing that could happen. You will see changes some big some small but it won't be an over night change. From what I have noticed from dealing/knowing G&W guys, they will come in evaluate how the power is, how well the customers are being serviced and adjust from there. You will see power get replaced/rebuilt and eventually repainted. They bought a large group of SD40-3's this year for there lines to replace older power such as the SD45's on the BP and they also have rebuilt a lot of non -2 models Gp38s and GP40 as well as some -2 models. So you have time to go out and shoot everything. For Michigan things.. power wise i will keep my other theories to myself but you will see the remainder of the GE's on the HESR be sold off and scrapped as G&W is a primarily EMD company I expect more of the SD40-3's and maybe some more of the SD40-2M's to be purchased. The GP38's will get rebuilds the power that is OOS will either be fixed or replaced.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Does GW have a main shop somewhere that does most of the major work/repainting?

Personally, I don't mind the G&W paint scheme. I don't like it as much as the ATSF Warbonnet and GLLX 3001 is far better than it, but I've seen worse. Considering many shortlines use the paint the units came with such as MQT's UP GP38s, MAW's Santa Fe Bluebonnet, or even GLLX 3002 & 3003, both in that gray (primer is it?), a nice coat of G&W looks good.

As for what has been stated about G&W's Railfan Policy, most of what they're gonna yell at you for is stuff you shouldn't be doing anyway.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I don't think they really have a main shop complex, I know a lot of there work for the east is done at Brookville PA, but i know there is a small shop at Morgan run OH, former OHCR shops where some work has been done at and they can do most anything at the small shop in Butler PA. G&W's current orange at least on the BP SD40-3's is a lighter more faded looking orange not as dark or nice as the older units but still nice.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

GLC 392...I do believe you will be a WATCO employee within the next 12-18 months if not sooner.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Are you talking mqt will be watco or URR?