The official steam thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

The official steam thread

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ok, I am gonna try to make this the official steam thread on the board. Granted anyone can post anything steam related where ever they want on here; but I am gonna try and put as much steam related news on here that people might already know if they don't follow things in the steam community like I do. So lets get started! Any steam and all steam can go here, but this is what I got for today...

Of course I don't want this to just be my little thread, if anyone else has anything they would like to post they can definitely put that on here as well! :D

Norfolk and Western 611 has started the initial phases of getting painted...
https://www.facebook.com/Fireup611

Buffalo Creek and Gauley #4 (Aka Southern #604) is set to be moved from the North Carolina Transportation Museum next month by truck. The Tender was moved earlier this month to the Cass Scenic Railroad Shops in Cass, WV. Work will begin IMMEDIATELY upon the locomotive's arrival in Cass to hopefully get "Old Slobberface" operational by 2016. The engine last ran in 2001. Also worth noting from Cass, Three truck Climax #9's boiler was reunited with the frame after several years of being separated. #9 is former Moore-Keppal #6 and is being restored to operation. The locomotive is in the final stages of a frame-off rebuild/restoration.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cass-Sce ... 0570725167

Maine Central #470 "The Mascot of Maine" has started getting prep work to prepare the locomotive for being moved from her display location of 60 years in Waterville, Maine. Work on freeing up the running gear, removing the stoker, and other various inspections continue. The locomotive is set to be trucked 80 miles to the Downeast Scenic Railroad for her restoration to operation later this year. No date has been set for her move YET...
https://www.facebook.com/NewEnglandSteam

Reading 2100 is still on the move, more to come with this... watch the Reading 2100 thread for more updates as they are reported.
https://www.facebook.com/americansteam

Sunset Timber #1 a Three truck Heisler was trucked from California to the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad where it will eventually be restored to operation as time and money permits.
https://www.facebook.com/OregonCoastScenicRR

That's all I got for now, but like I said if anyone has something to add go right ahead! :D
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Re: The official steam thread

Unread post by J T »

Finally a thread for the true ferroequinologists out there! :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:Finally a thread for the true ferroequinologists out there! :D
Leave it to JT... :lol:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

This has not (and probably won't) be released by TVRM for another 24 hours or so, but 4501 will be on the NS main tomorrow doing test runs. We are getting close!

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

MQT1223 wrote:This has not (and probably won't) be released by TVRM for another 24 hours or so, but 4501 will be on the NS main tomorrow doing test runs. We are getting close!
It's not a secret. It was on Trains News Wire last week.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

railohio wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:This has not (and probably won't) be released by TVRM for another 24 hours or so, but 4501 will be on the NS main tomorrow doing test runs. We are getting close!
It's not a secret. It was on Trains News Wire last week.
Hmmmm... must've missed that one... :oops:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

She's a beautiful Mikado. The GTW coach was sold to TVRM by the Bluewater Chapter a few years back I believe.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Mid-Continent Railway Museum hosted their auction on Saturday. A large amount of equipment was sold off and some artifacts. Woodward Iron #41, a Baldwin Built 2-10-0 decapod is heading to Sugarcreek, OH to join Jerry Jacobson's collection in the Age of Steam Roundhouse at the price of $10,000. The locomotive is on display currently in the yard at North Freedom, Wisconsin.

Louisiana Cypress #2, a Lima 2-6-0 (The oldest Lima Rod Locomotive in existence, being built in 1906) has been purchased just above scrap price by an unknown owner. The locomotive is in pieces due to it being evaluated for a restoration that never came.

The above pieces were purchased with the intent of being SAVED, not scrapped.

https://www.facebook.com/MidContinentRailwayMuseum

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

N&W 2156 is set to start it's long awaited move to Roanoke, departing from St. Louis on May 9th, as reported by the St. Louis chapter of the NRHS. The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society has reported that the locomotive will pass though Ft. Wayne on its way east. When however is TBT. I would love to catch this locomotive in tow since I saw her in St. Louis last year. I bet NS will pool the N&W heritage unit to St. Louis just to lead this one east... like they did with bringing 611 to Spencer.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but most of 611 has been repainted and looks absolutely gorgeous! She is almost there! I will post a link to a photo for people to look at. All that's left is some minor assembly. Batteries not included... :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Just announced today, 611 will be fired up on National Train Day to conduct another "Test Fire". If you ask me its all for publicity sake being that it's 611 and National Train Day. Also in regards to 611, if you want tickets get them NOW! Tickets are selling FAST. They are already halfway sold out after being available for less then 24 hours. VMT and NS have a real winner winner chicken dinner on their hands with 611 coming back.

Also worth noting, it was reported on Railway Preservation News that Jerry Jacobson is close to finalizing a deal for the purchase of two CPR Pacific's that were owned by the Late Jack Showalter. These locomotives have been shrink wrapped for years and are said to be in fantastic condition. They last ran in the early 90's on CSX rails and frequently doubleheaded excursions. If this deal is completed then Jerry Jacobson could easily recreate a scene from western Canada in the 1950's, as he would own four of the six surviving CPR G5 Pacific's! Jerry currently owns 1293 and the infamous 1278, but could add 1238 and 1286 to his growing roster of steam locomotives. The other two CPR Pacific's survive elsewhere. 1246 is at the Railroad Museum of New England, and the 1201 is at the Canadian Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Interestingly enough, ALL of the CPR G5's have operated since retirement which makes them railfan favorites for most steam fans. I will monitor this closely...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

611 has been fired up yet again today, this time however her jacketing and paint are present and she looks more like the 611 we know.

2156, an N&W Y6a 2-8-8-2 has left the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis bound for Roanoke as part of a deal arranged by the MOT and the VMT to have her in Roanoke for 5 years (Personally, I think this is only a part of something to keep 2156, the only ROANOKE BUILT Y left in Roanoke). 2156 is the strongest extant steam locomotive in the WORLD and is one of only two Y class and 2-8-8-2 locomotives in existence. She will join N&W #611 and N&W #1218 at the VMT on display and will most likely be a part of a photoshoot to replicate the famous N&W "Big Three" photograph from the 1950's.

A great day for any N&W steam fan for sure. The N&W built some of the best steam locomotives EVER in Roanoke and no one came closer to topping their performance in service. Good to see the biggest and best three reunited.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

N&W #2156 arrived in Roanoke yesterday after nearly three days of almost non-stop travel between St. Louis and Roanoke.

Also worth noting, an ex. E. J. Lavino Company 0-6-0T is in the beginning stages of fundraising for a restoration that could take a little under a year. The locomotive last ran in the 1980's.

Reading 2100 is due into Cleveland by the end of the week.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jerry Jacobson has acquired yet ANOTHER locomotive in the form of US Army #612, a 2-8-0. She was moved via lowboy last week without much attention.

Buffalo Creek and Gauley #4's boiler and chassis were trucked to Cass, West Virginia yesterday ending her time in North Carolina.

White Pass and Yukon #61 was trucked to Texas for unknown reasons.

Norfolk and Western #611 makes her test run on the mainline today rolling to Greensburo, North Carolina. The locomotive has been completed and will be running this weekend as well.

Some of the excursions involving 765 and 4501 have updated times or schedules so those should be checked ifplanning to ride behind them this year.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Frisco 1630 passed her annual inspection and break-in runs with flying colors.

https://www.facebook.com/14640811873910 ... 08/?type=1

Apparently I work on GEs now...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

N&W 611 is on her way home! Last reported in Roanoke. Follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updates!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The Big Three of N&W steam are together again for the first time in over 60 years today! Proud day for any N&W steam fan.

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

My video from chasing the 611.

Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Be safe and smart if chasing 611 and 1225 today!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

1225 arrived in Cadillac.