The Electromotive Division SW1 is a 4 axle, 600 HP diesel-electric switcher locomotive built by EMD between 1938 and 1953. It uses a 6 cylinder 567 prime mover rated at 600 horsepower. The SW1 was EMD's first true switcher, replacing the EMC era SC and NW locomotives. 661 SW1's were built, but none were built during the 1942-1945 period, as the War Time Production Board suspended the construction of switchers.
The SW1 rides on a short welded frame and a pair of AAR Type A trucks. Key spoting feautures include the large bulge on the front end that sticks out from the nose under the air intake (which housed sand) and a short, fat exhaust stack. Later locomotives recieved taller ones. Early SW1's were built with large single bulb "barrel" headlights, while later ones used a Pyle National Twin Sealed Beam design.
As far as switchers go, the SW1 is relatively small. Compared to later models, they weren't very powerful, and fell out of favor on Class 1's with the introduction of bigger models like the SW1200 and SW1500. A few exist today in museums, on various shortlines and in aggrecultural service.
Back to EMD Freight Locomotives