The Electromotive Division NW2 is a 4 axle, 1,000 HP diesel-electric switcher locomotive built by EMD from 1939 to 1949. It uses a 12 cylinder 567 (and later a 567A) engine rated at 1,000 HP. 1,145 were built over the ten year period.
The NW2 was EMD's first widely succesful switcher locomotive. At the time production began on the NW2, most railroads were still using small steam locomotives or displaced road steam locomotives to switch yards. When the NW2 came out (along with Alco's RS1), yard steamers were the first to go. Diesel-electric switchers proved their worth in yards years before the railroads began buying them as road power. It was much more economical to run a diesel switcher than a steamer.
Many NW2's remain in service today. Though Class 1's no longer roster them, they continue to work for shortlines, museums, grain elevators and other owners.
Back to EMD Freight Locomotives