The Electromotive Division GP7 is a 4 axle, 1,500 HP diesel-electric locomotive built by EMD from 1949 to 1954. It's 16 cylinder 567C engine was rated at 1,500 horsepower. In the late 40's, EMD was looking for a locomotive to replace the unsuccessful (and impractical) BL2.
EMD designer Dick Dillworth designed a new locomotive that everyone thought was so ugly that they called it "Dillworth's Ugly Duckling". Nicknames aside, the GP7 was a highly successful locomotive. It used a new "hood unit" design that featured walkways down the sides and ends of the unit, making it a much better locomotive for switching than an F unit or a BL2.
The long hood behind the cab housed the prime mover, dynamic brakes and other components. The short hood ahead of the cab housed a steam generator, if so equipped. Though it might have been "ugly" when placed next to a more elegant F7, the GP7's hood unit design was much more practical for freight use, and the first true "road switcher" was born. 2,729 GP7's were built, many can be found today working for short lines and regionals in various rebuilt forms. Several have been donated to museums.
EMD also built 5 cab less GP7B's for the Santa Fe.
Roster of GP7's
Continue on to the GP9
Back to EMD Freight Locomotives