CSXT Plymouth Subdivision Never Seen Before Video Footage

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: CSXT Plymouth Subdivision Never Seen Before Video Footag

Unread postby ChessieForever » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:54 am

Happy New Year! Volume #14 of the CSXT Plymouth Subdivision series has now been uploaded and begins in April of 1993 with a triple meet in Howell. First up: Eastbound R334 led by Conrail SD40-2 6454 stalls out climbing Ann Pere hill at Beck road. So eastbound R204 (who was following R334 east) led by CP M636 4713 comes to the rescue and shoves R334 the rest of the way up the hill. Finally, westbound R327 heads west out of the passing siding with another one of the rare U36B/MATE sets (5798-5224) as sole power. Also seen in this volume is the first CSXT partial repainted stealth locomotive C40-8 7561 with yellow ends. 1993 was the year CSX started touching up it's older CSX painted locomotives by applying a yellow nose, yellow rear and sometimes a yellow frame stripe over the original blue stripe, blue down or stealth painted units. 1993 was also the year Canadian Pacific debuted it's 'dual flags' paint scheme witnessed by SD40-2 6034 in fresh paint. See all this and much, much more including major CP Alco action. 1993 was without a doubt 'the year' for the Alco on the subdivision as one could see upwards of five Alco's on one train!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wOiZ ... PukFVJlqug
ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby ChessieForever » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Volume #15 of the Plymouth Subdivision series has just been uploaded as we continue to watch the locomotive action at mile post 54.8 in Howell, Michigan. In 1990, Canadian Pacific gained full control of the Soo Line, but it wasn't until 1993 that CP started repainting Soo Line locomotives into its new 'dual flags' scheme. See one of the first new repaints as we watch ex Soo Line SD40-2 6607 lead a westbound. By the summer of 1993, aside from all of the Canadian Pacific Alco's now running on the subdivision, one could also see GP9u's in the 8200 series as well as GP38-2's in the 3000 and 3100 series. These were great times for watching the CP in Michigan with fantastic locomotive diversity!

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby KVERBERK » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Hey I Stumbled across these on youtube! I've watched all the volumes and have really enjoyed them. I railfanned plymouth diamond as a kid with my dad from 1988-1991 so i really love this era. Thanks for sharing and I wish you had more footage from Plymouth Diamond!

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby ChessieForever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks, Kyle! Glad you are enjoying! I have a lot more videos to upload in the months ahead - so we're far from being done with the series.
ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby ChessieForever » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Volume #16 has just been posted as we continue the Plymouth Subdivision series at mile post 54.8 in Howell, Michigan. By late summer of 1993, CSX had completed its 268 unit order of C40-8W's from General Electric numbered 7650-7917. This order displaced many older locomotives from both EMD and GE. Specifically the entire fleet of GP16's (1700-1860) as well as most of the older U-Boats with the exception of the U18B's, U23B's and a handful of U36B/MATE sets. As for Canadian Pacific, the glory days of the big MLW Alco's were quickly coming to a close. By December of 1993 most of the C630's, M630's and M636's were in storage for the winter. As for the C424's, they continued onward throughout the colder winter months and into 1994 just fine. CP had plenty of other horsepower though with its large fleet of SD40-2's so there was no shortage of motive power on the subdivision. One big highlight of this video is seeing NKP 765 masquerading as C&O 2765 on its August 14, 1993 round trip to Grand Rapids.

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby BL2-1843 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:42 pm

To refresh my own memory of why and how NKP 765 was dressed up as Chesapeake and Ohio 2765 for its run through Michigan in 1993, I had to search for the answer and came up with this for anyone else who did now know or was wondering. Also, while I had totally forgotten this, within several hundred yards after the train passed by MP 54.8 going west, a CSX crew member on board the train, called out my name when saying "Have a nice day"

In the first 28 years of the Collis P. Huntington Chapter of the NRHS’ sponsored New River trains, many different locomotives, both steam and diesel, powered the trips, but only 1 of the steam engines was actually a C&O locomotive, #614. Two other steam engines bearing the markings of the C&O have graced the rails of the Hinton Division. Reading T1 2101 dressed up in Chessie System colors for the Chessie Steam Special in 1977 and 1978 was one…and the other wasn’t so extravagant….at least at first it wasn’t.
In early 1993, a simple idea was tossed around of adding a 2 to the NKP 765, giving her an authentic C&O Kanawha running number for the annual New River Trips coming up that October. That simple idea grew to maybe reletting the tender. Eventually it was decided to lower the headlight, add a radiator cover in-between the front air compressors, and add C&O to the sand dome. With the exceptions of the sand dome and steam domes being reverse, not having a cast pilot and the larger cab, the 765 took on the appearance of a C&O K-4 Kanawha. And thus, the 2765 was re-born.

From June through October of 1993, the 2765 heading many excursions throughout Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee, and finally the 2 weekends of annual New River Trips from Huntington to Hinton, WV on the old C&O Hinton Division that October. This would not only be the last season that the 765 would power the New River Trips, but the final season of her operation in general. After accumulating 115,000 miles since the NKP’s last major overhaul in the late 1950’s (52,000 miles of that since her restoration to excursion service in 1979), the 765 was showing signs of wear and was sidelined for running gear work. Unable to have the engine ready the following year, Milwaukee Road 261 filled in for 765 and pulled the 1994 New River Trains. This turned out to be the final year of steam power on the C&O Hinton division, and on CSX trackage anywhere.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread postby Saturnalia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks for the saga of Chessie Steam, BL2 :D
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 131.0" (29" behind last year-to-date)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread postby KVERBERK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:35 am

hey Chessieforever,

I've shared this photo on here before but i wanted chessieforever to see it! One of your videos (I think volume 9) featured a scene just like this one. I think this was taken 1989-1990 at the plymouth diamond, with the train heading west bound. If you look closely you can see a crew member grabbing train orders! Looking forward to more uploads!
Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby ChessieForever » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Nice photo! Those were great times back then at Plymouth diamond. I wish we had more video of Plymouth for you, but we didn't get down there all that often. More uploads will be coming out of the vault soon as we edge closer to 1994 as the evolution of the Plymouth Subdivision continues.
ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk