Ford wants $240 m for Michigan Central Station

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Ford wants $240 m for Michigan Central Station

Unread postby trainjunkie47 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Ford says it needs more than $239 million in public tax incentives to make good on its $740 million promise to redevelop the Michigan Central Depot and adjacent parcels— more than $100 million from cash-strapped Detroit

Read the rest of today's Detroit Free Press column here:
https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/nancy-kaffer/2018/09/12/detroit-train-station-ford-tax-incentives/1267176002/
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ford wants $240 m for Michigan Central Station

Unread postby hoborich » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:24 pm

HA! Well, at least they can't take their station and go somewhere else. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Chip » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:21 am

Man, I am so sick of this company crying broke all the time. They have anywhere between $16B and $21B in the bank depending on what you read. They are still profitable despite their claims to the contrary. They aren't broke.

Full disclosure, I am a ford employee. In fact I'm wrapping up my shift at the Michigan Assembly Plant Stamping Plant as I type this.
Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Cinderpath » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Considering what Ford has given Detroit over the past century, that people are griping about this I find interesting. Nobody squawked much at almost a billion dollars going for a sports stadium (LCA) when the city was bankrupt. The economic impact of this is huge, and people will use the facility daily (not just during events) and will employ people daily. I don't have a problem with such subsidies when there is a net economic benefit. LCA however was IMO a total waste of tax payers money for private team owners.
Cinderpath
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Chip » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 am

It would be an easier pill to swallow if they would pay the police and firefighters better and properly fund their pensions.
Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby NS3322 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Chip wrote:Man, I am so sick of this company crying broke all the time. They have anywhere between $16B and $21B in the bank depending on what you read. They are still profitable despite their claims to the contrary. They aren't broke.

Full disclosure, I am a ford employee. In fact I'm wrapping up my shift at the Michigan Assembly Plant Stamping Plant as I type this.

Gutsy :lol: :lol:
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Chip » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:03 pm

NS3322 wrote:
Chip wrote:Man, I am so sick of this company crying broke all the time. They have anywhere between $16B and $21B in the bank depending on what you read. They are still profitable despite their claims to the contrary. They aren't broke.

Gutsy :lol: :lol:

Not really, I use my phone. I'm not stupid enough to use a company computer where they can track me.
Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby DBFanatic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 pm

"Man, I am so sick of this company crying broke all the time."

Is that more or less often than we hear the term "cash-strapped" used to describe Detroit?
DBFanatic
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Chip » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pm

DBFanatic wrote:"Man, I am so sick of this company crying broke all the time."

Is that more or less often than we hear the term "cash-strapped" used to describe Detroit?
in the last year since Jim Hackett took over? Way more, you just don't always see it in the media as much as you do internally.
Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Michigan Talk