West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Farmboybello » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:55 pm

I know this thread is quite old but since I live very close to the WMRR I thought it would be nice to give everyone an update on how the railroad is doing. Last week the railroad crossing on 59 1/2 Street in Hartford was completely redone and it was done very nicely. I believe they fixed this crossing (which was in terrible shape) because there is an Amish man who owns property on the railroad who is opening a metal rolling shop and is going to use the railroad to ship his product out of the factory. I have also heard and I don't know if this is true but on Butcher Road in Lawrence there was an area cleared right next to where Pioneer took out some rail which is apparently supposed to become a gravel pit. Since the area is right next to where the railroad went I believe they are considering putting the track back in to the gravel pit which would add another couple miles back onto the line. It is really nice to see the WMRR coming back to action in the area!
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Michigan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Super Chief » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 pm

In talking to GTW tonight, he informed me the SW 1512 has been repainted and is lettered West Michigan Railroad.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Three Rivers, Mi.--Indian Rocks Beach,Fl.

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Firemedic Mike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:43 pm

1512 isn’t repainted, just cleaned up a little and I stenciled WEST MICHIGAN on the side in 12 inch letters a few weeks back so people would know who it belonged to. Paint doesn’t make money, but some white block lettering makes her look better.
I save lives. What do you do?
Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: St. Joseph, MI

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Farmboybello » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 pm

This video by Delay In Block Productions also outlines some recent activities of the WMRR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrL-g9yqFQ
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Michigan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Super Chief » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am

So where did the rest of the locomotives go that were there? Also if stored cars are on the east end how do they run around the train as CSX after dropping off would put the cars on the west end. Does CSX notify them first so they can have the engine positioned in town prior to arrival?
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Three Rivers, Mi.--Indian Rocks Beach,Fl.

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby ~Z~ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 am

lighthouse wrote:1/23/18....2 hoppers on the way 2 the West Michigan Railroad for rubber chip loading

Do you know where in Hartford that the hoppers are getting loaded with rubber chips? Do they get loaded right where CSX drops off the cars or does West Michigan RR pull them a bit east? Also heard they are getting tank cars sometimes as well.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com
User avatar
~Z~
Sofa King Admin
 
Posts: 10178
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Farmboybello » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 am

Super Chief wrote:So where did the rest of the locomotives go that were there? Also if stored cars are on the east end how do they run around the train as CSX after dropping off would put the cars on the west end. Does CSX notify them first so they can have the engine positioned in town prior to arrival?


Currently there are two ex-UP locomotives stored on the east end of the line behind the Amish metal shop. There might still be another locomotive stored behind Hanson Logistics which is seen in the video I linked earlier. I also believe there is a small yard on the west end of the line that the cars can be stored on or the locomotive can run around on.

~Z~ wrote:
lighthouse wrote:1/23/18....2 hoppers on the way 2 the West Michigan Railroad for rubber chip loading

Do you know where in Hartford that the hoppers are getting loaded with rubber chips? Do they get loaded right where CSX drops off the cars or does West Michigan RR pull them a bit east? Also heard they are getting tank cars sometimes as well.


I am pretty sure the rubber chip hoppers are loaded in the city as it is the only place on the line that is able to load cars like that.
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Michigan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby SD80MAC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 am

They unload and load everything right in downtown Hartford by CSX at the moment. No yard or runaround on the railroad, so the engine is always on the east end of the "train".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7404
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby NS3322 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Farmboybello wrote:Currently there are two ex-UP locomotives stored on the east end of the line behind the Amish metal shop. There might still be another locomotive stored behind Hanson Logistics which is seen in the video I linked earlier. I also believe there is a small yard on the west end of the line that the cars can be stored on or the locomotive can run around on.


Were the T6 and CF7 moved someplace else?
User avatar
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: CP-LEVITT

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Farmboybello » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 pm

NS3322 wrote:
Farmboybello wrote:Currently there are two ex-UP locomotives stored on the east end of the line behind the Amish metal shop. There might still be another locomotive stored behind Hanson Logistics which is seen in the video I linked earlier. I also believe there is a small yard on the west end of the line that the cars can be stored on or the locomotive can run around on.


Were the T6 and CF7 moved someplace else?


The only locomotives that i know for sure that are there are the two ex-UP MP15s and #1512. There may be more that are hidden behind Hanson Logistics though.
Last edited by Farmboybello on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Michigan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby SD80MAC » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am

WMI and GLLX currently have the two ex UP MP15s, 1512, a T6, and the CF7 on the line. GLLX #4 sounds like it will be joining them at some point.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7404
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby TC Man » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 am

SD80MAC wrote:They unload and load everything right in downtown Hartford by CSX at the moment. No yard or runaround on the railroad, so the engine is always on the east end of the "train".


How does WMI even make money with this being right next to the CSX interchange? They only transport the cars a few hundred feet? Seems CSX could service this themselves?
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby AARR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 am

I’ve asked the same question.

It’s my understanding that one of the factors is a short line will switch the cars when the customer wants for less cost.
[quote="TC”]How does WMI even make money with this being right next to the CSX interchange? They only transport the cars a few hundred feet? Seems CSX could service this themselves?[/quote]
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 28934
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Super Chief » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm

So the rumors they were going to put the line in back to Paw Paw can be put to rest. Bring on the trail to run in front of the Lake Cora residents homes, better than tankers being stored there. No news on this for a while so my guess the current state of affairs will suffice.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Three Rivers, Mi.--Indian Rocks Beach,Fl.

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby Farmboybello » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Super Chief wrote:So the rumors they were going to put the line in back to Paw Paw can be put to rest. Bring on the trail to run in front of the Lake Cora residents homes, better than tankers being stored there. No news on this for a while so my guess the current state of affairs will suffice.

I would not totally put to rest the possibility of this line going back to Paw Paw. The owners of the line are putting in serious effort at finding customers along the line. Which would help bring a reason to expand it.
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Michigan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby dave989 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Went to Hartford to Hanson Logistics east of town. They have been doing lots of track work but not past
59th street. From there to Lawrence, they have cleared the brush but that is it so far. There is no way
to rebuild the line to Paw Paw without major $$$$$. Too much mother nature to clear away and the crossings
have been torn out east of Lawrence.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

x