RAILROAD RECYCLE

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
A No.1
To Portland

RAILROAD RECYCLE

Unread post by A No.1 »

HMS SCRAP IN BATTLE CREEK, Off of RAYMOND Rd. Has a new spur from CN, Installed by Great Lakes Track Works within the last year.

Just received 4 KELX Box cars, Old Pen Central cars then Kellogg owned.

They are starting to move them into position for destruction.

Might be cool to watch.
Mark it Zero.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: RAILROAD RECYCLE

Unread post by AARR »

JUST AARON wrote:HMS SCRAP IN BATTLE CREEK, Off of RAYMOND Rd. Has a new spur from CN, Installed by Great Lakes Track Works within the last year.

Just received 4 KELX Box cars, Old Pen Central cars then Kellogg owned.

They are starting to move them into position for destruction.

Might be cool to watch.
Yes, bad also a sad one cause Kellogg's doesn't ship out by box car anymore that I know of. I wonder how many of those 60' box cars they had in their pool?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

IIRC somewhere in the area of 200 or so all in PC colors although they were owned by kellog the whole time and when Conrail happened they were lettered KELX. Originally they were lettered PCB.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Some or most may have been owned by kelloggs the whole time however I see a few in their fleet that have a big PC painted on them and and painted over. I can olny assume that they came from Penn Central Originaly. I will try to get a photo of the cars I refer too in the next week or so.

Anyway, Looks like at least One of the cars bit the dust today. The BIG CLAW got it.
Mark it Zero.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Most of the cars should have had PC logos and reporting marks initially however they were owned by kellogs and leased to PC. They were painted over when kellogs took the cars back. :)

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

10-4

Makes sense, Here are some photo's

Mark it Zero.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

That's too bad. They don't look to be in too bad of shape, besides the missing hardware. Hey MQT...need any 60 ft double-door boxes? :P

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

I wonder if any of these cars are still hauling freight for kellog's or if this is the start of a trend...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Considering the cars originally belonged to PC, I would hazard a guess they have reached their statutory life limit of forty years and can no longer be used in interchange service.
Norm

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Norm,
There are rules in place that if certain inspections and repairs are made the car can be put into extended service life. I cant remember the AAR rule but if I remember i'll look it up later.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I work at Kelloggs and there are a good number (maybe 40) of these box cas that I have not seen used in the last 10-12 years. Kellogg ships out by truck. How ever they do receive Sugar, Wheat and Rice by rail.

The DRSX 1005 gets switching time in evey morning. 1005 I beleive is an NW-1 built in 1948. I got to engineer it one day for some of the switching. Lots of fun!
Mark it Zero.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JUST AARON wrote:I work at Kelloggs and there are a good number (maybe 40) of these box cas that I have not seen used in the last 10-12 years. Kellogg ships out by truck. How ever they do receive Sugar, Wheat and Rice by rail.

The DRSX 1005 gets switching time in evey morning. 1005 I beleive is an NW-1 built in 1948. I got to engineer it one day for some of the switching. Lots of fun!
There used to be a piair of ex-GTW SW1200's on the property for interplant switching. Unfortunately, I'm told shortly after they were acquired by Kellogg's or whomever Kellogg's contracted out the switching too all inbound traffic went to NS so they sit around idle most of the time (NS handles it's own plant switching).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Hi Don,

All we have at the Battle Creek Kellogg plant is the one DRSX 1005. The switching operation and I beleive engine was owned by a guy or his wife named Don Gibson. They called it D.O.T. I guess he went to jail and the wife sold it. Not sure who owns the operation now. Anyway, CN does all or Most of the Inboud switching here through the Jeamson Ave gate. There is a track connecting to the NS line at Porter street but I cant remember the last time they ever brought any cars in from NS. I see CN in here usually with GTW power, I think its part of 521's dutys. The little guy 1005 gets shut down every morning when Charly is done switching and pluged in for the Oil Heater.

Your right, I should have said block heater.

After thinking about it, I have seen NS drag some cars out of here some time back. Im guessing its an as needed basis.
Last edited by A No.1 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark it Zero.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

JUST AARON wrote: The little guy 1005 gets shut down every morning when Charly is done switching and pluged in for the Oil Heater.
I'm guessing it gets plugged in to keep the water warm. Typically there's no antifreeze in them and the block is keep warm / constant temperature to prevent water leaks.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JUST AARON wrote:Hi Don,

All we have at the Battle Creek Kellogg plant is the one DRSX 1005. The switching operation and I beleive engine was owned by a guy or his wife named Don Gibson. They called it D.O.T. I guess he went to jail and the wife sold it. Not sure who owns the operation now. Anyway, CN does all or Most of the Inboud switching here through the Jeamson Ave gate. There is a track connecting to the NS line at Porter street but I cant remember the last time they ever brought any cars in from NS. I see CN in here usually with GTW power, I think its part of 521's dutys. The little guy 1005 gets shut down every morning when Charly is done switching and pluged in for the Oil Heater.

Your right, I should have said block heater.

After thinking about it, I have seen NS drag some cars out of here some time back. Im guessing its an as needed basis.
Wow, I went by Kellogg's about a year ago and NS had all the Kellogg's business. Now, you say CN has it :? I'm glad they do but man things change quickly these days :o

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
JUST AARON wrote: The little guy 1005 gets shut down every morning when Charly is done switching and pluged in for the Oil Heater.
I'm guessing it gets plugged in to keep the water warm. Typically there's no antifreeze in them and the block is keep warm / constant temperature to prevent water leaks.
Yup, and when the temp gets too low, the system dumps all the water to prevent damage. The geep we had at MCM Management was notorious for doing this. It got to the point in Lansing where the engine was just parked as a billboard, not to mention NS was not fond of us moving the engine around.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

DR wrote:Norm,
There are rules in place that if certain inspections and repairs are made the car can be put into extended service life. I cant remember the AAR rule but if I remember i'll look it up later.
Dane,

I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression they could be used beyond forty years, but not in interchange, only in captive service. It makes sense that they could be extended if they are road-worthy.
Norm

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

The X79s are cool. I hope to build the Rail Yard Models Kit sooner or later (not my scale but just cant resist) once I finish all the current projects ;)

There is a bit of the history of the 100 cars produced by Thrall on the RYM site

http://www.railyardmodels.com/catalog/p ... alx79.html

Do you have more shots of these?

Can I get high res versions?

thanks

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

pfs wrote:The X79s are cool. I hope to build the Rail Yard Models Kit sooner or later (not my scale but just cant resist) once I finish all the current projects ;)

There is a bit of the history of the 100 cars produced by Thrall on the RYM site

http://www.railyardmodels.com/catalog/p ... alx79.html

Do you have more shots of these?

Can I get high res versions?

thanks
Im hopeing it gets sunny for better shots but yeah. I can e-mail you some un-edited hi-res photo's.
PM your email to me and Ill send you some.
Mark it Zero.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Don Simon wrote:
Wow, I went by Kellogg's about a year ago and NS had all the Kellogg's business. Now, you say CN has it :? I'm glad they do but man things change quickly these days :o
Well, I don't have any contracts in front of me or anything. I'm just telling what I see happening. I Have a not so high quality cell phone photo of 4910 in here dropping off some cars.

That Sweetener facility at NS Hinman yard is not a Kellogg thing that I know of. I believe the location is just a coincidence.
Mark it Zero.