Leelanau Scenic Railroad #4

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Leelanau Scenic Railroad #4

Unread post by RailCanon »

The last Leelanau Scenic railroad switcher that was left up in Traverse City was recently sold to the person who owns "Miss Scarlet" or GLLX 921 which is the switcher for the stone place in Lansing. The switcher (An EMD NW2) is now GLLX 4, and is being moved from Traverse City to Marquette Rail in Manistee, via the TSBY and CSX.
TSBY finally delivered the engine to CSX at Ann Pere near Howell early this morning. The D709 local from Lansing could have picked this engine up today, but they chose to leave it for the time being.

Some history and other details on the locomotive, courtesy of Bob M.
Bob M. wrote:The unit is pretty well grafitied up on the engineers side, or south side as he will be coming to you, but it perfect paint on the firemans side, or north side despite the rear window being boarded up. The rear window on the engineers side is cracked pretty much but still there. I was impressed on its relatively good physical condition inside and out. Mechanically, it may not be much, but looked really well for sitting for so many years.

I was really impressed behind the "4" in the numberboards on the short nose firemans side, you could still plainly see the old number underneath (5258) And, while this unit was retired in Chessie paint, you could see no signs of that paint under the current paint, but you could still read the "Chesapeake and Ohio" across the long hood in its former paint. At least on the firemans side when facing towards the sun.

From my history notes, I last saw this locomotive as 5258 on 2-25-86 in Grand Rapids, one of 52 switchers stored there at that time. I have my first slide of it in Chessie paint in August 1980, and a slide of it in original Chesapeake and Ohio paint in August 1976. Last time I physically saw it as Leelanau Scenic Railroad was in August, 1994.

There are several "Non Complying Locomotive In Tow" form cards inside the locomotive with a 4-12-06 date saying "Dead In Tow On Own Wheels, No water, Shop Trucks, Destination: MQT, Grand Rapids, Michigan. They didn't look like shop trucks to me, as both trucks had "GM Diesel Limited London, Ontario" stamped on them. And a trust plate up and under the frame still had the Cheseapeake and Ohio "Subject to ownership" info on it.
Here are two recent photos of the locomotive in Cadillac, MI, taken by Kelly Countryman.
I will update this page with the current progress of the move from Traverse City to Manistee as events occur. As of now (June 8, 2006) it is still sitting at Ann Pere.
Last edited by RailCanon on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The trucks are "loaners" from the Ohio Central. They were trucked to TC and the original trucks trucked to Manistee. The "loaners" will eventually get trucked back to Ohio.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Ah, one of the very last Pere Marquette diesels. Hope it goes to a good home.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

The locomotive was finally picked up from Ann Pere by D709 on June 12, 2006 and taken to Ensel yard to be picked up by Q327 for the trip to Grand Rapids.
As of June 15, the locomotive has reached it's destination of Manistee.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Found this flatbed sitting outside of MQT's yard yesterday (6/29/06) with the temp trucks going back to Ohio.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

The trucks are on their way back to the Ohio Central. I was talking to the driver on the 2-way just before he chained them down taken:) He said it was a gorgeous day in Manistee - he would have liked to stay and I wanted to join him:):)

ra1508vh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ra1508vh »

Long drive from Manistee to Coshocton....

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Tentatively leaving Howell at 2am Sat for Coshocton:) Monday pickup in Monroe for TRW Portland for Monday night delivery:( No long weekend for the driver:(:(

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

How does Marquette anticipate using this locomotive? Any one know?

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Driver couldn't find motivation this morning. Said he'll try Sun.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

GP30M4216 wrote:How does Marquette anticipate using this locomotive? Any one know?
The plan is to have it be the switcher for the Elevator in Newaygo.
It was still sitting at the yard in Manistee two weeks ago when I went by on the bike trip.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

My friend Jon saw it in Manistee yesterday along with one of their GATX GP38-2s, which now says Marquette on the long hood and has the logo on the nose.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Leelanau Scenic Railroad #4

Unread post by PatAzo »

Through the trees off 131 it looked like #4 setting at CHS in Wayland.