Locomotive horn stolen from parked train

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Saw this in my e-mail. Didn't NS loose a horn not too long ago, under similar circumstances?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi- ... 0575.story

Associated Press
5:30 AM CST, January 15, 2009

UNION MILLS, Ind. - Authorities believe it may have a railroad buff who stole a large horn
from a locomotive parked in northwestern Indiana.

The horn consists of three aluminum trumpets and weighs 10 to 15 pounds. Chesapeake &
Indiana Railroad operations manager Don Wantola says whoever stole the horn had to
climb on top of the train engine and remove several half-inch bolts.

LaPorte County police say the theft occurred sometime over the weekend.

Footprints were found in the snow around the Chesapeake & Indiana locomotive, which
was parked near Union Mills, a rural area about 30 miles east of Gary.

Wantola says a collector of railroad memorabilia was the likely culprit because other items
on the train with higher scrap value that were untouched.
~ Charles W.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Locomotive horn stolen from parked train

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Does it always have to be a Railroad Collecter ! :twisted: There are more than a few Truck Drivers ( a.k.a. sterring wheel holders ! ) that have made public requests for a set of train horns for their trucks. Thing is that anybody will do almost anything for a buck these days. :twisted:

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Does it always have to be a Railroad Collecter ! :twisted: There are more than a few Truck Drivers ( a.k.a. sterring wheel holders ! ) that have made public requests for a set of train horns for their trucks. Thing is that anybody will do almost anything for a buck these days. :twisted:
That is just the nature of out society. Just like everytime some criminal uses a handgun in a crime there is the usual condemnation of all handgun owners.

Are there serial numbers on them? :?:

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Great another kick for the Horn Collectors. Sounds like the horn that was stolen was a K3 of some form. I know it wasn't a leslie either that or they have the weight wrong. For the Seriel numbers yes they do. Problem is most shops tend to pull working horns off engines with other problems if an engine with a bad horn comes in. So if you have a horn tied to an engine its not always acurate info. Also the tags are easily removable. A fellow collector told me how to remove the tag of my RS3L.

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

totally confused, they have video cameras on their engines at all times, so can't they check the tapes?

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

This is facitious, so please don't go ballistic. :wink: :wink:

To protect the integrity of the horn collectors, they shall all have to aquire a FEDERAL license, be fingerprinted, iris scanned, and have an emena (sic) check. They must also have a hearing test to see if they are sane. Lastly they must register all their horns, including natural ones and pay $500 a year for the right to derive pleasure from listening to the sweet refrain of a train horn.

Why do i expect to see some form of the above show up in congress as a proposed law :?:

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

You have to keep in mind that the locomotive is parked unattended in a relatively isolated area, so getting the time to yank the horn off it wasn't a problem. I would highly doubt that it was under any sort of survelance either via camera or local law enforcement (Union Mills/Wellsboro does not have a police dept as far as I know - so it would be up to the county Sheriff) either.

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

been out there a few times, there is a CCTV camera pointed at the engines

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Could be, now if it's "live" or a dummy though....
Beal99 wrote:been out there a few times, there is a CCTV camera pointed at the engines

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

hobojim wrote:This is facitious, so please don't go ballistic. :wink: :wink:

To protect the integrity of the horn collectors, they shall all have to aquire a FEDERAL license, be fingerprinted, iris scanned, and have an emena (sic) check. They must also have a hearing test to see if they are sane. Lastly they must register all their horns, including natural ones and pay $500 a year for the right to derive pleasure from listening to the sweet refrain of a train horn.

Why do i expect to see some form of the above show up in congress as a proposed law :?:
Most of us Horn Collectors already keep a list of horns complete with seriel number. there is horns out there that don't have the tags for legitimate reasons. CR_Jons K5LA is a good example, I bought that from the Trainmaster of CMGN. The Manifold had been damaged and repaired somewhere a long the line the tag disapeared. Most of the sellers on ebay are reputable by the Horn Collectors, its the occisional random one that raises questions. More often than not those sellers are contacted by railroad police to make sure the horn had been obtained legally. Also, Nathan-Airchime and Leslie Controls, and Wabco are willing to sell the general public.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

I may end up buying one. I have thought of buying a new Camaro and my wife thinks it would be cool to put an air horn on it. :lol:

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

If you want to talk horns, feel free to PM or email me. I'll be at the Depot in Durand tonite and I'll be there tomorrow

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I blame all these young idiots such as myself that seem to think putting train horns on there vechile is cool. I think its dumb. Prolly some dumb kids.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Mike Tabone wrote:I blame all these young idiots such as myself that seem to think putting train horns on there vechile is cool. I think its dumb. Prolly some dumb kids.
I agree. Though I love my K5LA, I would never want it mounted on my car.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

MSchwiebert wrote:Could be, now if it's "live" or a dummy though....
Beal99 wrote:been out there a few times, there is a CCTV camera pointed at the engines
This a live CCTV it has been there since they bought the line from CSX. You shouldn't be screwing around near those locomotives that are park there. As for what happened, they sometimes park locomotive on the string of manifest cars that are to be interchange from the"Chiken" to the CSX, by the grain mill, but there are cameras on the scale house but they do not point to the interchange yard. Who ever did this is an idiot and should be prosecuted to the full extend of the law, the CIND "was" railfan friendly railroad, BUT NOT ANY MORE; I can remember a few times be down there and getting cab rides with the crews, but since this happened that won't happen anymore and for who ever stole this horn they should turn themselve in and face the conciquences, Because you will get caught at some point....