freight train theft's

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
thomas
Railroadfan...fan

freight train theft's

Unread post by thomas »

8 men have been charged with train break in's , for the past 2 years, a formor NS employee has been the mastermind of the robbery's, trains were hit according to info from this former employee, they would pull the pin or seperate the air line to delay movement while the train was pilfered, goods were then sold at a store in laporte, who the owner was in on the robbery's or sold at area flea market's, for the all american mighty dollar......it was reported scanners were also used to listen in on communication, so now fans have more reason to fear the look you will be getting by passing crews....

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Re: freight train theft's

Unread post by thomas »

sorry forgot to say this was happening in northern indiana, on the NS and CSX chicago mains..

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

thomas wrote:sorry forgot to say this was happening in northern indiana, on the NS and CSX chicago mains..
No problem. Of course, if they were selling the goods in LaPorte, they probably weren't ripping off trains in the Carolinas... :)
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As more people are hurt by our economy we may see more of this stuff... :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Don Simon wrote:As more people are hurt by our economy we may see more of this stuff... :(
And as economic conditions continue to deteriorate expect mere folks looking to take possession of your stuff.
Norm

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Nothing new under the sun here, some of my high school classmates back in the late 1980's got into more than a little "hot water" with the railroad & authorities for stealing fog lights off of Jeeps in auto-racks in Deshler (this was back in the days of open racks). Needless to say, this activity came to a quick end once the authorities got involved!

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

You'd think the conductor would see something moving while walking the train. :?
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

DR wrote:You'd think the conductor would see something moving while walking the train. :?
Depending on what happened, the train may have never stopped. I've come out of Chicago ramps and been given a 'check' on the way out with no open doors. We never stopped, slowed to probably 10 to 15 mph because of speed restrictions, but STILL had doors open when we reached Barr Yard. All you'd have to do is make the train slow to restricted speed, jump on, and start opening doors to see whats inside.

I remember one time a trailer full of plastic balls was opened up. These are the types you find in kids playgrounds as McDonalds and whatnot. There were red, blue, green, and yellow 'balls' along the ROW for the better part of 25 miles until they all fell out or the door got closed. I had a pillow from along the ROW that had fallen out of a trailer train. Target pillows were strewn along the tracks for about 10 miles.

Practice Safe CSX

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I remember hearing about the "ball crawl" balls along the tracks from my brother too. He's seen more than his share of interesting things while out hi-railing - and his territory is waay east of Chicago!
CSX_CO wrote:
DR wrote:You'd think the conductor would see something moving while walking the train. :?
Depending on what happened, the train may have never stopped. I've come out of Chicago ramps and been given a 'check' on the way out with no open doors. We never stopped, slowed to probably 10 to 15 mph because of speed restrictions, but STILL had doors open when we reached Barr Yard. All you'd have to do is make the train slow to restricted speed, jump on, and start opening doors to see whats inside.

I remember one time a trailer full of plastic balls was opened up. These are the types you find in kids playgrounds as McDonalds and whatnot. There were red, blue, green, and yellow 'balls' along the ROW for the better part of 25 miles until they all fell out or the door got closed. I had a pillow from along the ROW that had fallen out of a trailer train. Target pillows were strewn along the tracks for about 10 miles.

Practice Safe CSX

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

i dont think i ever got a X5xx outa Rouge that didnt have open doors on it....they call it the "ho chi min trail" between the tunnel and Rougemere and unless theres some type of emergancy the DSPR trys realy realy hard not to let trains slowdown thru that section....i remember 1 YM at Rouge telling me that "....a train will be raped clean in 15 minutes on the Ho Chi Min trail"...
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

When CP was running on CSX's Detroit Sub every now and then I'd see a trailer or container with its doors swinging open. I'd call CSX Grand Rapids (cause I never figured out CSX Livonia's voicemail system and in Grand Rapids a person would answer) to let them know. I got the impression they'd stop the train and close the door before moving on.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

was in the rulebook....when you gave a train a rollby from anywhere youd either give 'em an "all black and blinkin'" or let them know of a problem.....in the case of container doors most times the next meet it would be arrainged for the sitting crew to wait for the doors get em stopped and then close them up....and usually back then there was 6 to 7 meets on the 11 sidings between GR and Ply so doors didnt stay open long....but sure not all crews were....uh...attentive and responsible....and ill leave that alone :roll:
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"