Railfan websites you visit

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Railfan websites you visit

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Just trying to get an idea where you all enjoy posting/reading railfan information besides here on railroadfan.com. I'm especially interested in the Ohio/Indiana members as to what other message boards are used as I'm thinking of adding Ohio and Indiana as categories to make posts on in addition to the Michigan forums.

Example.. I read/post here most often, but occassionally read these other sites:
Michiganrailroads.com
railroadforums.com
trainorders.com
members.boardhost.com/misl - michigan shortlines board
railpictures.net forums
rrpicturearchives.net - photo resource

Thanks for any input you might have on this. One main thought about expanding this was that each year, our railroadfan.com message board meeting has been in OH or IN, so it seemed only natural to try to include those areas better.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

I post only on this one and on the Huron and Eastern Railfan on yahoo groups. Most of the sites that I visit I don't post on as I lose track of many passwords, so I just post here and on the HESR Railfan. I made a discussion board on my site but I haven't been on my site for awhile and the board hasn't had any new topics lately so I just gave up on it.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Michiganrailroads.com
I also post from time to time on the Indiana Railfan message boards at http://indianarailroads.org/board/. These have proven to be very informative and useful on several occasions.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Michiganrailroads.com, but you probably knew that :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

No real good Railfan forum for Ohio, Indiana http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

This one, and Railroad forums.com. That's it.
Norm

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

This place....
Dales boards
My site (HESRRailfan..search Yahell)
the Twincitiies yahell group (Minnesota)
Loconotes (yahell group)
Locophotos (from time to time)
Dave C

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Most of the places I go for information have already been mentioned, including:
MichiganRailroads boards
Shortline (Michigan) board
Indiana Railfan board
and various Yahoo Groups.

As far as Indiana information goes, the Ft. Wayne area page is good for the Ft. Wayne area but there are a couple other places you can get good information regarding the state of Indiana outside the Ft. Wayne area.
First, as Nathan mentioned, there is the Indiana Railfan board. There tends to be a lot of good information about the Indy area and the areas south of Indy on there, and not quite as much (although still very good) information about areas north of Indy.

As far as North Central Indiana information, your best bet is probably going to be the NCIR group on Yahoo. Yes, it is a Yahoo group, but it's probably about the best resource for information on railroad activity north of Indy and south of Michiana (there is also a Michiana Area group on Yahoo).
~ Charles W.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

If Mike is OK with it I would love a Fostoria section, with the feed you may get alot of hits, especially if you did something like the Bullsheet listing all the trains that go through, heads up on special power, railfanning info, approxamate times wich trains will show up, what trains usually have foriegn power.

I know when I first started going there I tried finding out everything I could about the place.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Bluewaterfan wrote:This post has been done already....
It's been done a couple of times...there's a link to the first thread on your link, Bluewaterfan. Thanks, now I know I'm not losing it entirely too...I thought I'd responded to a similar thread on this site a while back (didn't realize how far back though).
~ Charles W.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Charles W wrote:
Bluewaterfan wrote:This post has been done already....
It's been done a couple of times...there's a link to the first thread on your link, Bluewaterfan. Thanks, now I know I'm not losing it entirely too...I thought I'd responded to a similar thread on this site a while back (didn't realize how far back though).
Well, away went Bluewater's as it only had a few responses..the really old one was more of just a general "where do you browse." This time, and I know it's not much different, but trying to just find the railroad related sites. Doesn't sound like Ohio is covered well, and that'll probably be the next category to go up.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Sounds like a good plan Zack, seams like the hurd is migrating South with new members.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

The ones I actively look at: (i.e. have an account/participate)

Trainorders
Railpictures
Western Ohio Rails Yahoo Group
(http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/WesternOhioRails/)

I also check out a couple others that are further outside the scope of this one like the W&LE board, P&WV board (http://thepwvhiline.com/)
and sometimes trains.com & others.

I can think of at least one other member here who participates on the Western Ohio Yahoo group also.

Michael

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Here. until recently if I had questions about modeling I would use the Model RRer Board. but they changed it, Ads got bigger and the board got smaller, and the Search function there is all but useless. So now, Just here. Pictures go up on RRpicturearchives and if I get something I think is spectacular and I don't care railpictures

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Re: Railfan websites you visit

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Lets see I do most of my posting on railroadfan,
Railfan.net(sometimes if I'm bored),
Michiganrailroads.com(my second favorite site)
rrpicturearchives(just to look at all the cool pics)
trains.com(usually check it out from time to time).

Thats about it, I use to go to a few other sites but those got too boring for me.