ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

pudgy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:02 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:14 pm
Charlotte Southern Update:

ADBF 5674, ADBF 2502 and ADBF 5208, the dinner train set, have been sold to CPMY.

CHS #3 is still up for sale (as well as ADBF 1760 and ADBF 1758)

Unknown status on the two cars stuck out in the woods at the end of the line.
As of now, believe only a handshake agreement is in place with CPMY. Pending financial ability and interchange agreement to be set up. Routing would be CN to GDLK to CSX to GRE, also require updates to air system to make mainline legal. Will be watching to see how it all shakes out.
They could save a lot of mileage and probably skip the needed brake work if they just take the MCRR Grand Rapids branch all the way into Grand Rapids. Of course, the trade off would be needed wheel work in the end….

:lol: :lol:

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

LansingRailFan wrote:

ADBF 5674, ADBF 2502 and ADBF 5208, the dinner train set, have been sold to CPMY.

Honestly, looking at the whole picture this was really the only logical outcome. 3 mile short line to basically nowhere, about half of which is totally unusable and no hope in hell of any new customers being built on the line. Wouldn’t shock me if an abandonment petition was coming soon.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Don’t need physical online buildings to Transload rail cars. Plenty of opportunities on the CHS.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

It goes through a neighborhood and woods. I just don’t see it.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Sounds kind of like Lapeer Industrial---1 customer, half the line un-usable, no prospects for anything else. But--- must say the crew-- the few rare times that I saw them-- are good guys that get the job done.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

pudgy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:02 am
LansingRailFan wrote:

As of now, believe only a handshake agreement is in place with CPMY. Pending financial ability and interchange agreement to be set up. Routing would be CN to GDLK to CSX to GRE, also require updates to air system to make mainline legal. Will be watching to see how it all shakes out.
Just wondering why it would go CN to GDLK to CSX to GRE to CPMY. I would think going to CN to JAIL to CSX to GRE to CPMY would make more sense.

Why would CSX have to be involved from GDLK to GRE though. I thought GDLK's rights to access GRE and the yard north of Ann Street had been restored.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Chip wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:02 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:

Honestly, looking at the whole picture this was really the only logical outcome. 3 mile short line to basically nowhere, about half of which is totally unusable and no hope in hell of any new customers being built on the line. Wouldn’t shock me if an abandonment petition was coming soon.
They said that about WMI too.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Ex-ADBF 4043 caboose now PNLX 4043 in action:

https://flic.kr/p/2oRKoqy

https://flic.kr/p/2p6zxHy

https://flic.kr/p/2p7CgLB

I shared a photo of these a few months ago when these first showed up on the property, and now I finally got out to see them working. This is a special work train operated by Keolis for lesee McCourt Construction which is the general contractor for the MBTA engaged in burying the PTC wires that were initially installed above ground on a temporary pole line. This initial project is taking place along the Fitchburg Route mainline with the little train based out of Littleton at the Quarantine Track. On this day they were working between West Concord and Concord and are seen here paused on Main 2 at MP 20.1 in the curve just west of the depot and the Belknap St. crossing. The little four car train is led by a pair of leased locomotives dressed in pseudo Rio Grande paint and trailed by a former Central Vermont caboose as a bit of early fall color hints at what's to come behind them.

PNLX 2107 is a Wabtec/MPI MP20GP acquired from the Union Pacific where it was their UPY 2107. Rebuilt in August 2006 as a low emissions unit for service in Texas it was originally an EMD GP50 blt. Nov. 1980 as Missouri Pacific 3504. Coupled behind is PNLX 9619 is a GMDD GP40-2LW originally blt. Aug. 1975 for the CN with the same number.

The pretty little caboose (PNLX 4043) is lettered for Central Vermont Railway but I'm unsure if it was an original CV car or if it was former GTW 79056 as per online sources. It is a late model wide vision style built by International Car in Kenton, OH. Sold into private ownership decades ago it spent years in Indiana and then on Michigan's Adrian and Blissfield Railroad until being sold to Precision Locomotive Leasing.

Concord, Massachusetts
Friday September 29, 2023

Dave Blaze
https://flickr.com/photos/151111185@N04/

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

The A&B has moved ADBF 1755 and the MOW Flat Car out of the Grosvenor Spur, as of a week or so ago. It is my understanding, from reading posts on other sites, that there will be grade crossing work done to Grosvenor Hwy. and that switch may be pulled, as part of the project.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I would say Friedland’s on the Old Town Spur is not due for a switch anytime soon :(
IMG_2925.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2926.jpeg

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:50 pm
I would say Friedland’s on the Old Town Spur is not due for a switch anytime soon :(

IMG_2926.jpeg
Is that supposed to be a JAIL loco on that sign? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Which train is this? It was apparently carrying corn oil, but no cars tipped or anything.
Train derailment in northwest Lansing

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) – A locomotive and four tanker cars derailed Friday afternoon in northwest Lansing.

The train, which was transporting corn oil for Adrian and Blissfield Railroad, derailed about 12:30 p.m. It was sitting on the trigger mechanism to activate the crossing lights and barriers. The company is based in Okemos.

The street crossing nearest the derailed train is North Grand River Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., in northwest Lansing.

Chris Bagwell, president of the company, says it’s unclear what caused the derailment.

https://www.wlns.com/news/train-derailm ... m=referral

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MiddleMI wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:03 pm
Which train is this? It was apparently carrying corn oil, but no cars tipped or anything.
Train derailment in northwest Lansing

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) – A locomotive and four tanker cars derailed Friday afternoon in northwest Lansing.

The train, which was transporting corn oil for Adrian and Blissfield Railroad, derailed about 12:30 p.m. It was sitting on the trigger mechanism to activate the crossing lights and barriers. The company is based in Okemos.

The street crossing nearest the derailed train is North Grand River Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., in northwest Lansing.

Chris Bagwell, president of the company, says it’s unclear what caused the derailment.

https://www.wlns.com/news/train-derailm ... m=referral
I believe that corn oil is being transload on the JAIL, and comes from The Andersons in Albion.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:35 am
Sounds kind of like Lapeer Industrial---1 customer, half the line un-usable, no prospects for anything else. But--- must say the crew-- the few rare times that I saw them-- are good guys that get the job done.
From what I've understood in the past is that the bridge past Delta needs work and there is interest down past Delta for service but ADBF wanted a grant or some kind of assistance to fix/replace that bad trestle.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Well, I remember reading somewhere, that the State of Mich. gave a grant to rebuild a bridge on PAINT CREEK TRAIL-- a walking/riding trail, so I would imagine that they could help to help to rebuild a small bridge to help with a potential industrial/ employment situation . We will see. Seems a little weird that a bridge that could hold a RR, now cannot hold a couple bicycles. ??

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Here is the sale listing for the ADBF/JAIL GP9s. 1751 can be yours for $98k...
https://www.railmover.com/home26885f84/ ... crBX9Mz98w

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:50 pm

IMG_2925.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2926.jpeg
This post aged well, since Friedland got switched last month. Not that anybody knew, but what are the chances?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

I knew! It was actually earlier this month. Forgot to post here, though:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123716567@N03/53321633718

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MiddleMI wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:37 am
I knew! It was actually earlier this month. Forgot to post here, though:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123716567@N03/53321633718
All these years I had no idea who "MiddleMI" was...and now I know. Hi, Pete! :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Oh, no, this is not me. It's a flickr account I found.