South Bend, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

South Bend, Ind.

Unread post by GTW »

Just so all of you know the last couple days I have heard "Chicago East"dispatcher calling all trains at MP 437 on the Chicago Line and giving instructions for a 25 mph over the new diamonds... Looks like diamonds instead of crossovers for the CN at South Bend... Any one else have information on this ..... Thanks..

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

tom
stopped by CP 437, and they have replaced most if not all the switches with new switches, not diamonds.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Where the CN runs over the NS, how many tracks are there, 3 or 4?

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

trainjunkie47 wrote:Where the CN runs over the NS, how many tracks are there, 3 or 4?
I believe 3..
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

South Bend

Unread post by GTW »

Thanks for the news on South Bend but I have been hearing Chicago East say 25mph over the diamond at MP 437... for track 1 and 2 for the last several days.. makes me wonder why diamonds would be installed this day and age....

Thanks

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: South Bend

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GTW wrote:Thanks for the news on South Bend but I have been hearing Chicago East say 25mph over the diamond at MP 437... for track 1 and 2 for the last several days.. makes me wonder why diamonds would be installed this day and age....

Thanks
They probably just refer to the multiple switches there as diamonds.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: South Bend

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Conrail Jon wrote:
GTW wrote:Thanks for the news on South Bend but I have been hearing Chicago East say 25mph over the diamond at MP 437... for track 1 and 2 for the last several days.. makes me wonder why diamonds would be installed this day and age....

Thanks
They probably just refer to the multiple switches there as diamonds.
I don't think that's the case, Jon. I've spent quite a bit of time railfanning at Arnold Street, and I don't believe any of the crossovers could be mistaken for a diamond. It has to do with the way the interlocking is designed. I found a rather poor shot of the interlocking (well, the west end of it anyway) in my files:

In this shot you can see the layout of the crossovers. The shot looks east, the track in the foreground (curving toward the left) is the NS Chicago line. The jumble of tracks on the right are the CN mains (also Chicago-bound) and the NS line to their trackage on the south side of South Bend (this would be the topmost of the three). The siding NS has in downtown SB can be seen towards the top of the photo, clearly ending before the crossovers begin.
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Charles W.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I think you missed where someone said they stopped by and said all the switches had been replaced with switches. No diamonds.

It may just be on the dispatchers screen, the 'switches' look like a diamond. Or they could just be using a generic term to refer to the CN's crossing there at CP 437.

Practice Safe CSX.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

CSX_CO wrote:I think you missed where someone said they stopped by and said all the switches had been replaced with switches. No diamonds.
Practice Safe CSX.
Yep. Totally missed that post. :oops:
~ Charles W.