cloning railroadfan.com. Ohio and Indiana versions

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

cloning railroadfan.com. Ohio and Indiana versions

Unread post by redside20 »

It has been brought up by a few ohio railfans mainly cmhfan and I. We'd like to have a site just like this in Ohio, and there are many factors involved as well. Like how to pay for a site like this, and keeping it running and finding a webhost and so forth. railroadfan is my number one site for seeing trains and reading about information about trains. railroad picture archives and railpictures are ok, but you can have fun and goof off on railroadfan. there isn't a site quite like this board. We can always create an ohio or indiana version of railroadfan but as old saying goes. Always imitated, never duplicated. many railroad related websites go by the wayside like everything else that is copied.
Exit stage left

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Dont we pretty much cover Indiana and Ohio already? Between Y@, MSchwiebert, DMH (he is new her, but will have lots of good info), you, me and others, dont we cover it already. If those others would join here it would be even better. Why start a new one when you have a good one here. Just bring more people here.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

redside20

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Dont we pretty much cover Indiana and Ohio already? Between Y@, MSchwiebert, DMH (he is new her, but will have lots of good info), you, me and others, dont we cover it already. If those others would join here it would be even better. Why start a new one when you have a good one here. Just bring more people here.
I know, and i've been thinking about that. Its just that you guys are up there and were down here. I guess your right, there is no need for another mindless railfan cloneboard. Another reason is that i;m tired of the mindless yahoo sites. With the exception of our own ns systems yahoo board and CSX albany board. the yahoo sites are filled with clones that die within weeks or months. Only the strong survive on yahoo
Exit stage left

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

You guys in Ohio are like family to us..... dont go creating another board invite them here for the party. Would love to here more information from Ohio- Indiana- Illinios. Most of us crave more information.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Scooterb wrote:You guys in Ohio are like family to us..... dont go creating another board invite them here for the party. Would love to here more information from Ohio- Indiana- Illinios. Most of us crave more information.
If we're all family, was Zack our mother? WHO WAS THE DAD ZACK?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?! :lol:
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: cloning railroadfan.com. Ohio and Indiana versions

Unread post by J T »

redside20 wrote:It has been brought up by a few ohio railfans mainly cmhfan and I.
Hey Luke, is this cmhfan? http://forums.railpictures.net/member.php?u=485

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I wish there was more coverage of IORY's former DT&I operations.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

I am pretty sure it is JT
He also is a member of this board

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

I wish there was more coverage of IORY's former DT&I operations.
there are a few that post pics from it. Maybe we should look them up and invite them to the board.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Scooterb wrote:I am pretty sure it is JT
He also is a member of this board
Ahh, didn't know that. Cool.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Hey Luke, there is actually a good site for Indiana, which is NOT a Yahoo group. Actually, it's a fairly active message board, similar to Railroadfan.com. It's the modern version of the Indiana.Railfan.net site, but at this time the webmaster has only had time to focus on the board. I lost my password for the site, but it's one of the few sites I lurk on...See the link below:

http://indianarailroads.org/board

Also, even though you sound like you're sick of the Yahoo groups, there is one that tends to be pretty informative, at least when it comes to railroads in north central Indiana. It's the NCIR Yahoo group.

I saw your discussion in the shoutbox earlier about the Ft. Wayne Area Railfan site as well. From what I've heard, that's probably the best single source of information for railfanning around the Ft. Wayne area, but it's never been of much use to me, personally, as I've spent very little time in the Ft. Wayne area.

If you're looking for info on North Central Indiana, the NCIR group is probably your best bet. If you're looking for info on the whole state, the Indiana Railroads Bullsession is probably your best bet.
~ Charles W.

redside20

thanks for your input everyone, i've been thinking and i've decided to let things be. Why ruin a good thing? And Charles yes i know about NCIR yahoo groups and a couple of others too. I'm sticking with railroadfan though. :D I just wanted to get everyones opinion because i like to listen to people. Yes that is cmhfan. I have never met cmhfan in person yet, but he told me here online that he wished that something similar like railroadfan would feature. What he was trying to say that he didn't think that you guys were interested in railroading in the Central Ohio area.
Exit stage left

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Y@ Heilman wrote:
Scooterb wrote:You guys in Ohio are like family to us..... dont go creating another board invite them here for the party. Would love to here more information from Ohio- Indiana- Illinios. Most of us crave more information.
If we're all family, was Zack our mother? WHO WAS THE DAD ZACK?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?! :lol:
PROBABLY, WHO WAS THE DAD PAT C. BEER DRUNKING?!?!?!?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

redside20 wrote:What he was trying to say that he didn't think that you guys were interested in railroading in the Central Ohio area.
Eh, it is south of the border, but I think most good things tend to be south of the border. :twisted: For most of us, Central Ohio isn't in our backyard, and we tend to talk most about the things in our backyards (for instance, less than a week ago, someone mentioned it was nice to railfan with people who don't talk about Grand Rapids all the time...the funny thing was, I felt the same way...). But just because we talk more about the things in our backyards doesn't mean we aren't interested in things in other parts of the country, especially parts of the country that are either close by or in which events of various sorts could have an impact on our areas.

If you and cmhfan are willing to discuss Central Ohio, Luke, I certainly don't mind reading about it. I don't know much about railfanning in Ohio myself. outside of Fostoria anyway (shudders violently), but I'm definitely interested in learning more about it.
~ Charles W.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Luke if you guys start discussing these areas on here more people from that area will start participating also, as it would be a good source of information for them. It may take awhile for others to join and start participating but eventually the will.

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

Hi Luke, yeah I almost forgot about creating a forum like this for central Ohio. It would certainly not have the following of this one. This is a great board. In the meantime, the central Ohio yahoo group will have to do...

Regarding out of state interests: Though I think many of members here are interested in central Ohio rail activity, it's just that I personally I don't know much about anything north of Fostoria. Heck, to me, Toledo is pretty much Michigan! Perhaps someday I'll broaden my horizons and become more familiar with our northern neighbors, but for now, I'll stick to making comments and reports on what I know. That's probably why I don't visit or post much here as much as I should. Still, I think this is one of the friendliest rail message boards I've come across on the net. Keep it up!
Last edited by cmhfan on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Will there be a blackout period in November?
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

cmhfan wrote:Heck, to me, Toledo is pretty much Michigan!
No, you guys can keep it...we don't want it. :lol: :P

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

No, you guys can keep it (Toledo)...we don't want it.
The funny thing about Toledo is...We actually had to fight to keep from losing it to you guys! :lol:

Seriously though; some people down here really get into the whole Michigan/Ohio rivalry thing, but that doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illionis, etc, we're still all midwest folk.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

cmhfan wrote:
No, you guys can keep it (Toledo)...we don't want it.
The funny thing about Toledo is...We actually had to fight to keep from losing it to you guys! :lol:

Seriously though; some people down here really get into the whole Michigan/Ohio rivalry thing, but that doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illionis, etc, we're still all midwest folk.
It IS interesting how that has been sustained over the years. I'm sure the UM/OSU football rivalry has something to do with that.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing humorous signs that stated: "Help keep Michigan clean, dump your trash in Ohio." :lol: