CSX Montague Subdivision History

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Talk
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Montague Subdivision History

Unread post by Talk »

I am interested in learning about the Montague Subdivision. What kind of industries were served and such
Keep Talking ;)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: CSX Montague Subdivision History

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Primary industry for many years were the two chemical plants on the north side of Montague. Once that traffic dried up, the rails were pulled in fairly short order.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Talk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Talk »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:11 am
Primary industry for many years were the two chemical plants on the north side of Montague. Once that traffic dried up, the rails were pulled in fairly short order.
Ahh. That would make sense. Thank you
Keep Talking ;)

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Are you referring to only the trackage from the north side of Muskegon up to Montague? For a time the line south of Muskegon was technically also part of the Montague Sub.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The line originally continued north to Shelby and Hart. There were a number of fruit and vegetable packing houses located in the area.
I believe the line north of Montague was abandoned around 1980.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Hooker Chemical and DuPont. Hooker is a Superfund site. Their 50 ton 2 axle GE went to Coopersville & Marne and then the Michigan Southern in White Pigeon. It has since left there. The 50 ton 4 axle from DuPont is currently on the Coopersville & Marne

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Just google Hooker Chemical Montague. That alone should keep you busy for awhile. Dangerous place, very creepy to go into and switch. Did it a few times. Didn't enjoy it.
Enjoy Every Sandwich.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I thought I remember reading that, way back, the tracks went all the way to the south side of Pentwater. I know there was a few fruit plants, lumber yards and elevators along the way.

As far as Hooker goes, I did some research a few years ago on that site. Holy Sh!$. That was a hell of a mess. You know its bad when they burry everything in a clay lined pit, cover it with a pyramid shaped mound and place a huge tombstone in the corner of the property stating what chemical everything is contaminated with for generations down the road to read. Look up the chemical known as C-56.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

EWRice wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:26 pm
I thought I remember reading that, way back, the tracks went all the way to the south side of Pentwater. I know there was a few fruit plants, lumber yards and elevators along the way.

As far as Hooker goes, I did some research a few years ago on that site. Holy Sh!$. That was a hell of a mess. You know its bad when they burry everything in a clay lined pit, cover it with a pyramid shaped mound and place a huge tombstone in the corner of the property stating what chemical everything is contaminated with for generations down the road to read. Look up the chemical known as C-56.
I believe the farthest north they went was Whitehall.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

These two diagrams are from the Muskegon Railroad Historical Society Facebook page.
Attachments
diagram two.png
diagram one.png

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:04 pm
EWRice wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:26 pm

I believe the farthest north they went was Whitehall.
You are correct sir. http://www.michiganrailroads.com/stati ... ntwater-mi