Petoskey Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Petoskey Question

Unread post by chapmaja »

I just have a question regarding the operations to Petoskey on the GLC (From the Google Maps view)

Along Clarion Ave there is a siding that contains a string of covered hoppers. I assume these are transloaded at this location, as I don't think the adjacent businesses are getting plastic pellets of anything else in covered hoppers.

To the north end of this track, a line appears to go on the west side of the Bear River, while the mainline goes to the east side of the river. Was this another line, which is now just a short segment, or was there once another line that met the now GLC line at that location?

Also, just south of this location is a siding for AmeriGas and Holton LP gas. The picture shows no cars on the line, but the siding looks like it connected at both ends. Do they still get service?

Are there any other customers north of the cement terminal (does that still get service, or should I say get service again?)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Petoskey Question

Unread post by AARR »

AmeriGas/Holton hasn't received rail service since the early 90's. Their siding is in poor shape but still connected.

There are no customers between Elmira and Petoskey.
chapmaja wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:11 pm
Also, just south of this location is a siding for AmeriGas and Holton LP gas. The picture shows no cars on the line, but the siding looks like it connected at both ends. Do they still get service?

Are there any other customers north of the cement terminal (does that still get service, or should I say get service again?)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Plastic pellets go to Petosky Plastics west of town on US31. They had rail service at one time. I was working a Lake Central Rail Tours excursion running around the train on the AmeriGas siding. I was on the front, engineers side when there was a odd noise. Engineer "stopped", I climbed down and he said what was the noise? I replied "us going on the ground". I believe that was the last move on the siding. Had to get Petoskey Schools to bus the passengers back to town.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:11 pm
I just have a question regarding the operations to Petoskey on the GLC (From the Google Maps view)

To the north end of this track, a line appears to go on the west side of the Bear River, while the mainline goes to the east side of the river. Was this another line, which is now just a short segment, or was there once another line that met the now GLC line at that location?
The former track you see was the Bear River secondary track. Originally built (circa 1900) to serve a sawmill, paper mill and eventually the city electric generating station and water plant. The track followed the river and extended almost to Lake Street.

There was a second track branching westward to the Antrim Lime Co. mill located where the Bay Mall now sits. Later This line was cut back to serve Preston Feather lumber located on US-131 near Porter Street. There were a number of small Volume customers located along this branch.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

There is map showing these lines on Michiganrailroads.com
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/stati ... petosky-mi